Adblock breaks this site

Coinbase taxes + USA

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jkim203, Feb 8, 2020.

  1. jkim203

    jkim203 Forum Addict
    $5 USD Donor New

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2018
    Posts:
    253
    Referrals:
    0
    Sythe Gold:
    304
    Discord Unique ID:
    374060540579938306
    Coinbase taxes + USA

    Has anyone payed taxes on coinbase money from staking before? Basically I would buy bitcoin with my credit card then use that to buy osrs gold and then whenver

    I won big I would sell the gold immediately for bitcoin to coinbase then cash it out to my bank.

    The thing is I have lost just as much money as I have won but I don't know if it would cancel out on my taxes. I have cashed out 8000 dollars worth to my bank but I am pretty sure I have bought just as much using my card. How would I approach taxes?

    Do I have to even worry about it?
     
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
    MAGZ likes this.
  2. POPEYES

    POPEYES Active Member

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2019
    Posts:
    115
    Referrals:
    0
    Sythe Gold:
    140
    Vouch Thread:
    Click Here
    Coinbase taxes + USA

    I don't really understand it either. As far as I know, you still have to report it.
     
  3. Superfluous

    Superfluous Rainbet.com Casino & Sportsbook
    Crabby Retired Global Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2012
    Posts:
    18,939
    Referrals:
    5
    Sythe Gold:
    9,135
    Vouch Thread:
    Click Here
    Discord Unique ID:
    247909953925414913
    Discord Username:
    .superfluous.
    Two Factor Authentication User Pool Shark Air Fryer DIAF m`lady Le Kingdoms Player STEVE Creamy
    Coinbase taxes + USA

    You should report the income, but speak to a tax professional if you want a real answer.

    I would imagine it works like gambling losses, which are deductible up to the amount of your winnings if you itemize your deductions.
     
  4. POPEYES

    POPEYES Active Member

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2019
    Posts:
    115
    Referrals:
    0
    Sythe Gold:
    140
    Vouch Thread:
    Click Here
    Coinbase taxes + USA

    Here's an example of where that would be different I think
    - If you buy BTC at say, 10.2k/coin, and buy gp at 10.4k/coin, you've already made a net gain, even if you lose all that money staking.
     
  5. MAGZ

    MAGZ Nothing has to go here tbh.

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2019
    Posts:
    3,872
    Referrals:
    1
    Sythe Gold:
    454
    Vouch Thread:
    Click Here
    Discord Unique ID:
    555180483290464268
    Discord Username:
    MAGZ#8039
    Coinbase taxes + USA

    Do your taxes. If you need help let me know I just did mine.
     
  6. jkim203

    jkim203 Forum Addict
    $5 USD Donor New

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2018
    Posts:
    253
    Referrals:
    0
    Sythe Gold:
    304
    Discord Unique ID:
    374060540579938306
    Coinbase taxes + USA

    im just worried because I am going to college right now as an independent student with no income on FAFSA so I get a lot of financial aid from the state. Would this affect that as well? I heard coinbase dosent report to IRS anyways unless it is above say like 20k? If i get caught wouldn't I just be able to plead ignorance?
     
  7. jkim203

    jkim203 Forum Addict
    $5 USD Donor New

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2018
    Posts:
    253
    Referrals:
    0
    Sythe Gold:
    304
    Discord Unique ID:
    374060540579938306
    Coinbase taxes + USA

    I heard online gambling is illegal as well in California. God I really don't know what to do :(
     
  8. POPEYES

    POPEYES Active Member

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2019
    Posts:
    115
    Referrals:
    0
    Sythe Gold:
    140
    Vouch Thread:
    Click Here
    Coinbase taxes + USA

    I'm thinking you probably don't need to mention it was gambling? You could probably act as if it's buying/selling goods?

    Gambling | FTB.ca.gov
     
  9. jkim203

    jkim203 Forum Addict
    $5 USD Donor New

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2018
    Posts:
    253
    Referrals:
    0
    Sythe Gold:
    304
    Discord Unique ID:
    374060540579938306
    Coinbase taxes + USA

    So i guess just talk to a tax professional and tell him that I purchased bitcoin and used it to sell and trade goods? does he calculate the taxes for me? I really don't want to get someone involved if I dont have to. anyone know the penalty if I do get caught?
     
  10. Superfluous

    Superfluous Rainbet.com Casino & Sportsbook
    Crabby Retired Global Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2012
    Posts:
    18,939
    Referrals:
    5
    Sythe Gold:
    9,135
    Vouch Thread:
    Click Here
    Discord Unique ID:
    247909953925414913
    Discord Username:
    .superfluous.
    Two Factor Authentication User Pool Shark Air Fryer DIAF m`lady Le Kingdoms Player STEVE Creamy
    Coinbase taxes + USA

    Posting this thread is essentially you stating an interest in committing tax fraud. The penalty is paying what you owe + an extra fee of some percentage of that amount + having this on your record for the rest of your life.

    It's not worth having tax issues when you're only like 20 years old. Get in touch with a tax office, explain the situation, spend the couple hundred bucks or whatever it costs, and get it taken care of. If you're a student and presumably in a low tax bracket, it might be easiest to just report your "income" from this activity and ignore the fact that you lost some of it gambling.
     
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    POPEYES and jkim203 like this.
  11. Superfluous

    Superfluous Rainbet.com Casino & Sportsbook
    Crabby Retired Global Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2012
    Posts:
    18,939
    Referrals:
    5
    Sythe Gold:
    9,135
    Vouch Thread:
    Click Here
    Discord Unique ID:
    247909953925414913
    Discord Username:
    .superfluous.
    Two Factor Authentication User Pool Shark Air Fryer DIAF m`lady Le Kingdoms Player STEVE Creamy
    Coinbase taxes + USA

    @jkim203
    If this is your first time paying taxes, use TurboTax or one of its competitors. Fill everything out, and you can see how your final tax total changes depending on how you enter this $8,000. The lowest tax bracket is 10%, and I'm pretty sure the standard deduction is north of $12,000, so you probably don't owe anything even if you do report only your income and none of your losses to counterbalance it.
     
  12. Dunworry

    Dunworry Reality is perception
    Retired Global Moderator Dunworry2 Donor

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2014
    Posts:
    29,604
    Referrals:
    205
    Sythe Gold:
    1,649
    Discord Unique ID:
    178395186253004800
    Discord Username:
    andrew7548
    In Memory of Jon Former OMM Dragon Claws
    Coinbase taxes + USA

    Definitely report it. The IRS is asking people to self report in 2019 and forward and will be more lenient as long as you try to report it. Buying/selling goods would result in you needing to file a Schedule C as you'd be claiming this income as business income in the self-employed category. This would result in a different tax treatment and a higher tax fee from a professional tax preparer; however, I would still recommend visiting one in this case.
     
    POPEYES likes this.
  13. Comet

    Comet Active Member

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2019
    Posts:
    129
    Referrals:
    0
    Sythe Gold:
    131
    Coinbase taxes + USA

    Do you have an amount in the US which isn't taxed?

    In the UK we can earn up to £15,600 without paying any tax. It's called our personal allowance.

    So if in the year you earn over that amount, you'd need to declare this income for sure. If not then you're probably grand.
     
  14. Dunworry

    Dunworry Reality is perception
    Retired Global Moderator Dunworry2 Donor

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2014
    Posts:
    29,604
    Referrals:
    205
    Sythe Gold:
    1,649
    Discord Unique ID:
    178395186253004800
    Discord Username:
    andrew7548
    In Memory of Jon Former OMM Dragon Claws
    Coinbase taxes + USA

    this would be different due to it being classified as business income, which has a lower threshold than the ~12K standard deduction
     
  15. Comet

    Comet Active Member

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2019
    Posts:
    129
    Referrals:
    0
    Sythe Gold:
    131
    Coinbase taxes + USA

    Is he doing this through a business?

    In the UK I can call the HMRC (gov. Tax body) and ask them if I need to do this or not and they will accurate advice.
     
  16. Dunworry

    Dunworry Reality is perception
    Retired Global Moderator Dunworry2 Donor

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2014
    Posts:
    29,604
    Referrals:
    205
    Sythe Gold:
    1,649
    Discord Unique ID:
    178395186253004800
    Discord Username:
    andrew7548
    In Memory of Jon Former OMM Dragon Claws
    Coinbase taxes + USA

    He would either have to file it as capital gains (buy/sell for higher) or business income (buy/sell goods using bitcoin as currency to facilitate trades). Business income is most appropriate in this instance.
     
    MAGZ likes this.
  17. MAGZ

    MAGZ Nothing has to go here tbh.

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2019
    Posts:
    3,872
    Referrals:
    1
    Sythe Gold:
    454
    Vouch Thread:
    Click Here
    Discord Unique ID:
    555180483290464268
    Discord Username:
    MAGZ#8039
    Coinbase taxes + USA

    @Dunworry is correct. Not doing your taxes is not worth it. Filing the income correctly is also important. There’s not really a way around it.. Deal with it now or get fined later.
     
< What meal deal would you choose? | Home repair >


 
 
Adblock breaks this site