Rate the Staff of Sythe (May 2018)

Discussion in 'Community Input' started by Wonderland, May 25, 2018.

1. Unread #41 - May 27, 2018 at 10:53 PM
  2. Matt
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    SOTMx5 In Memory of Jon

Matt Don't be afraid to fail... Be afraid not to try.
    Retired Sectional Moderator Ninja Graphics Artist Competition Winner THERSG0D Donor

While I understand the reason you're doing this @Wonderland, I have to agree with @Zuzel111 . Right now, it's like judging people out of how many times they posted in public. As you know, moderators aren't required to post or make a public appearance for plenty of tasks. A form like this could, therefore, lead to results that aren't really representative.

@Wortel, for example, makes a thread in Report a Scammer section everytime he finds a ban evader. Others, however, could just make a post in the thread in Staff Lounge. Now, even though both methods are fine, @Wortel would get better results in this form due to his bans being public. I'm not saying @Wortel is wrong to do so. I'm just saying that giving scores to people based only on what you saw is probably not the best way to go. @ShipTheFlip described it well here.

Now, I don't think your form is a bad idea. I think being active in public and doing tasks are 2 very important things for staff members. I think your form gives results mostly for the first element, while mod scores focus on the second one. Thinking of a way of integrating both of these elements would be a better idea in my opinion. The general performance of a staff member would be better represented.

Just my 2 cents on the subject

Last edited: May 27, 2018
  3. Unread #42 - May 27, 2018 at 11:25 PM
  4. S
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Discord Unique ID:
    Discord Username:
    sm2797
    Two Factor Authentication User

S noobies

Actually staff now HAVE to publicly post reports prior to banning someone based on their own investigation lul. Cant just post it within the SL thread xd.

^ Wortel, Mr.King and King like this.
  5. Unread #43 - May 27, 2018 at 11:42 PM
  6. Matt
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    SOTMx5 In Memory of Jon

Retired Sectional Moderator Ninja Graphics Artist Competition Winner THERSG0D Donor

Ah, I wasn't aware of this change. Thanks @sellerman.

Either way, this was just an example. The public still can't see everything a staff member does (Hidden tasks, the person voting's activity, etc.), and I think there should be some kind of statistics involved. Don't judge a book by its cover.

Last edited: May 27, 2018
  7. Unread #44 - May 28, 2018 at 3:16 AM
  8. King
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Brawlhalla Champion Detective Member of the Month Winner

King Runewager.com - Osrs Gambling

I'm on the fence with being for/against this idea. The whole of staff feedback / individual threads help, but I understand that polls are private, and some people prefer to remain anonymous, however as others mentioned trolling / unintentional bias will remain a thing. I think @Wonderland has made a lot of great points here, however I'm not sure what the outcome of this thread will really do for us.

Also I'd like to point that I feel like a lot of people over-exaggerate the work of a staff member behind-the-scenes compared to what the public can see, and that's not to disrespect or offend any staff member / ex-staff member. Post reports take seconds to handle, and SL threads are only really needed to be made in complex scenarios where multiple staff input is needed on something, or for something minor (usually), and those threads aren't made often. Admins oversee issues of lower staff, but aside from that the only other behind the scenes work is the daily PM's we get that we respond to when people seek assistance for anything privately whether be for a dispute, report, etc, or when other staff members respond to us when we seek help or a second opinion on something (vice versa), however most of these tasks are done by the active staff members more often then the non-active staff members (by a large margin), and the public can see that for the most part as they are the ones that inquire our assistance in regards to these issues. Again though as I said that's not to disrespect any current/ex-staff because lets be honest some staff are way more fortunate than others and can't be on as much (reasonably so), and it has probably been like that before my time as well, and most likely continue to be this way because at the end of the day it's a volunteered role, not a job, however sometimes it can feel like people join mainly for the status over the main reason, which is to actually help others (I think?). I'd like to point out though that I'm not in USL as I'm not a Global +, therefore I can't judge what goes on in there, but I can see a lot of what most staff do considering I'm on the staff team myself and see what goes on a majority of the time, especially since most staff are usually on within my timezone.

Like I said though I'm not sure what the outcome of this thread is to achieve, however I do understand where you're coming from fully. Rotations / demotions seem to be a thing of the past seeing as modscore quota isn't something that needs to be met anymore seeing as others have failed to meet it several times in the past without having issues, so I'm unsure what solution would help here.

^ Wonderland, DesireX, Angels and 3 others like this.
  9. Unread #45 - May 28, 2018 at 11:21 AM
  10. Matt
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    SOTMx5 In Memory of Jon

For sure, a lot of the tasks are public. However, people judge on what they saw. If they were active for 2 hours on Monday and saw one moderator closing 10 reports, they'll think that moderator was the most efficient that month. While another moderator could've closed 20 reports 4 hours before that person went online.

All I'm saying is that people don't see everything. Not entirely because it's not public... but because we're humans. We like to check some sections, and we're only active some days.

I like the idea, I just think it would give a better idea of the general performance with some form of statistics. Think of it as an assignment for school. Would you make your final recommendations only on what you saw (qualitative data)? Most of the time, no. You also need quantitative data to make good conclusions.

^ Soul, Killswitch, Pendulum and 5 others like this.
    Last edited: May 28, 2018
  11. Unread #46 - Jun 3, 2018 at 4:50 PM
  12. Wonderland
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

Wonderland spokesman

13. Unread #47 - Jun 6, 2018 at 5:48 PM
  14. Wonderland
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

Wonderland spokesman

15. Unread #48 - Jun 16, 2018 at 11:10 AM
  16. Wonderland
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

Wonderland spokesman

4 more days!

^ King and Champ like this.
  17. Unread #49 - Jun 16, 2018 at 9:12 PM
  18. Tony
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Discord Unique ID:
    Discord Username:
    Tony#9688
    M
    SytheSteamer Live Streamer Rio 2016 Community Participant Twitter Facebook Promoter Rust Player Photography Competition Winner

Tony Formerly known as Island
    Retired Sectional Moderator $200 USD Donor New

hi, vote me best looking even though im LOA atm.

^ PandaBot, King and Pendulum like this.
  19. Unread #50 - Jun 17, 2018 at 12:46 AM
  20. mumble
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Discord Unique ID:
    Discord Username:
    mumble
    Verified Overwatch Grandmaster SytheSteamer Two Factor Authentication User Rust Player May the 4th Be With You

mumble Guru
    $25 USD Donor New

< Rate the Staff Results (May 2018) | >

Users viewing this thread
1 guest

Adblock breaks this site