Hey guys, I just wondered what your experiences of the Ash cloud from the recently erupted Volcano in Iceland, in terms of travel, and getting home.
Here's mine:
I went skiing about 2 weeks ago in Austria. We intended to go for a week, but because of the ash cloud, our flight was cancelled. We rebooked, and the flight was cancelled again. This went on for about 4 days, with us booking flights and then them getting cancelled, and as the skiing season is coming to an end in Austria, our hotel closed. We had to go and stay in a hotel near the airport, and try and sort out a way home. Our flights were still getting cancelled after we booked them, so we tried the Eurostar. The website wouldn't let us book tickets and it kept on failing, but eventually (after about 50 tries) we managed to get seats on it from Brussels to London. We also had a flight booked from Munich to Heathrow in London that hadn't been cancelled yet, and when we got up in the morning, we found it was still running. So we decided to not bother with the Eurostar (The payment was fully flexible, meaning we could get a refund if we didn't get on it) and went to the airport. When we got there, it was still running but we had about 5 hours to wait till we could check in. We noticed that there was a flight leaving for Heathrow in about an hour from when we got to the airport, so my dad went and asked if we could get on it. Because my dad has to fly alot for work, he has a British Airways executive card, and when he showed this to the person at the desk, they put us straight onto the top of the waiting list for the flight
. So we managed to fly home to the UK eventually. We ended up staying abroad about 5 days longer than we intended to be away, and now we are owed about 2000 GBP in refunds for cancelled flights, and the Eurostar. It was a pretty special holiday :L
What are your experiences?
Here's mine:
I went skiing about 2 weeks ago in Austria. We intended to go for a week, but because of the ash cloud, our flight was cancelled. We rebooked, and the flight was cancelled again. This went on for about 4 days, with us booking flights and then them getting cancelled, and as the skiing season is coming to an end in Austria, our hotel closed. We had to go and stay in a hotel near the airport, and try and sort out a way home. Our flights were still getting cancelled after we booked them, so we tried the Eurostar. The website wouldn't let us book tickets and it kept on failing, but eventually (after about 50 tries) we managed to get seats on it from Brussels to London. We also had a flight booked from Munich to Heathrow in London that hadn't been cancelled yet, and when we got up in the morning, we found it was still running. So we decided to not bother with the Eurostar (The payment was fully flexible, meaning we could get a refund if we didn't get on it) and went to the airport. When we got there, it was still running but we had about 5 hours to wait till we could check in. We noticed that there was a flight leaving for Heathrow in about an hour from when we got to the airport, so my dad went and asked if we could get on it. Because my dad has to fly alot for work, he has a British Airways executive card, and when he showed this to the person at the desk, they put us straight onto the top of the waiting list for the flight
What are your experiences?



