Adblock breaks this site

2016-2017 NFL Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sports, Health & Fitness' started by Wonderland, Feb 11, 2016.

  1. 12 def TANK

    12 def TANK Forum Addict
    $5 USD Donor New

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2012
    Posts:
    552
    Referrals:
    0
    Sythe Gold:
    104
    2016-2017 NFL Discussion Thread

    I like this thread lol. I too have really missed football. Am hyped for it to come back. That said, the Pats are going to win the Super Bowl, despite the bs suspension. We'll go 2-2 the first four games w/o Brady. #prayforgronk.
     
  2. whydontyouhaveaseat

    whydontyouhaveaseat Active Member

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2016
    Posts:
    128
    Referrals:
    0
    Sythe Gold:
    158
    2016-2017 NFL Discussion Thread

    Excited for football as always. I went to the Cowboys/Rams game last week, first live game I have been to and it was awesome. Football is BACK!!!! WHOOOO!!!!

    Sorry...still juiced about the game. Lots of interesting moves this off-season though should give a different playing field of who is who.

    Bold Predictions:
    - Titans/Jaguars compete the their division
    - The Browns go 8-8
    - Chiefs/Raiders give the Broncos a run for their money
    - The Bills win the division and upset Patriot fans everywhere
    - The Cowboys stay healthy all year, go 19-0, and win the Superbowl `;)
     
  3. I Bleed Duke Blue

    I Bleed Duke Blue Sephiroth
    Do Not Trade

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2010
    Posts:
    5,837
    Referrals:
    0
    Sythe Gold:
    1,682
    2016-2017 NFL Discussion Thread

    Dak Prescott has more TD's in the preseason than he does incompletions.

    I wonder if the Cowboys start poorly if they'll throw him in.

    I don't foresee the Cowboys starting poorly though. They were only so bad last year because Dez and Romo were hurt. Gotta remember the year before that they were 1 controversial play away from the NFC Title game.
     
  4. whydontyouhaveaseat

    whydontyouhaveaseat Active Member

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2016
    Posts:
    128
    Referrals:
    0
    Sythe Gold:
    158
    2016-2017 NFL Discussion Thread

    I said that last part as a Cowboys fan myself.`:rolleyes: Prescott has done amazing, I was at the Rams/Cowboys game and it was thrilling watching him play. Definitely the future of the franchise.

    When Romo and Dez are on the field with a healthy run game, they are virtually unstoppable by any defense. Look what they did to Seattle in 2014, other than the special teams mistakes, Dallas controlled the game and the clock.

    Let's not talk about the "no" catch....lol
     
    I Bleed Duke Blue likes this.
  5. I Bleed Duke Blue

    I Bleed Duke Blue Sephiroth
    Do Not Trade

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2010
    Posts:
    5,837
    Referrals:
    0
    Sythe Gold:
    1,682
    2016-2017 NFL Discussion Thread

    It's funny because I'm a Packers fan first but a Cowboys fan second. And it was a catch. Shame.

    Let's hope the Cowboys can revive the 2014 magic.
     
    whydontyouhaveaseat likes this.
  6. whydontyouhaveaseat

    whydontyouhaveaseat Active Member

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2016
    Posts:
    128
    Referrals:
    0
    Sythe Gold:
    158
    2016-2017 NFL Discussion Thread

    That's awesome! it must have been an enjoyable game then seeing your two favorite teams, regardless who wins. It was definitely a catch though, he was a runner at that point.

    Morris has done well with his carries and even the 6th pick Jackson. I am looking forward to seeing Elliot on the field, let the magic commence.
     
    I Bleed Duke Blue likes this.
  7. I Bleed Duke Blue

    I Bleed Duke Blue Sephiroth
    Do Not Trade

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2010
    Posts:
    5,837
    Referrals:
    0
    Sythe Gold:
    1,682
    2016-2017 NFL Discussion Thread

    My brother is a die-hard Cowboys fan and seeing the excruciating ways they lose football games has made me a fan for life. I'm waiting for their fortune to change. 2014 was a really good chance. I totally think they could have beaten Seattle again too. As you said they dominated that game.

    They really dominated the game at Lambeau too, but that Murray fumble was another big moment.

    Bryant has looked unstoppable at training camp. I'm expecting a huge year for them.

    My worry with the Cowboys is the same as my worry with the Packers: The defense. I know the offense can produce, as long as they stay healthy. But the defense always worries me. Especially Dallas'
     
    whydontyouhaveaseat likes this.
  8. whydontyouhaveaseat

    whydontyouhaveaseat Active Member

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2016
    Posts:
    128
    Referrals:
    0
    Sythe Gold:
    158
    2016-2017 NFL Discussion Thread

    It's painful man, 2011-2013 was possibly the hardest just by the simple fact mediocrity was repeated year after year. 1 win, 1 loss, 1 win, etc. But it essentially built that O-Line and got Murray, so mediocre isn't so bad?

    I mean they go from 2013 with the third worst historical defense in NFL history, to 2014 and they are one catch away from the NFC Championship Game. Was it a fluke? I don't like to think so.

    Bryant is back to his old self, even when he played last year he was still injured. That catch last year in the second Eagles game though? Only Bryant and a few others could do that, including Richard Rodgers! Lol.

    The great thing is, for teams like the Packers and the Cowboys their defense is complimented by how well the offense plays. So if the offense is firing on all cylinders, the defense can take advantage of having the lead. It's too bad they didn't have a Broncos/Panthers caliber defense, but, I'll take my chances!
     
    I Bleed Duke Blue likes this.
  9. I Bleed Duke Blue

    I Bleed Duke Blue Sephiroth
    Do Not Trade

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2010
    Posts:
    5,837
    Referrals:
    0
    Sythe Gold:
    1,682
    2016-2017 NFL Discussion Thread

    The good news is I haven't seen much improvement out of the other NFC East teams. They all just stood pretty idly by and didn't make that many moves. I really like the Cowboys chances to win that division. The Eagles are soft, the Giants didn't really do anything and the Redskins got marginally better. The Cowboys getting health back alone easily makes them the scariest team in the East. Add Elliott to the mix with arguably the best O-Line in football..you're looking really good.

    You don't need an amazing defense to win the Super Bowl. You can get by with a bend but don't break defense. Holding teams to fgs instead of TDS and forcing turnovers is paramount. Look at the Packers Super Bowl team in 2011 - they weren't that great of a defense. But they were a bend but dont break defense. They were #1 in the NFL in takeaways. If you can take the ball away, obviously with an elite offense you can make it work. And I believe the Cowboys have an elite offense. Dez Bryant, when healthy, is arguably the best WR in the NFL. Easily top 3-5. Then you have easily a Top 5-10 QB in Romo, and a top 3 if not #1 offensive line in Football. I honestly don't think there's an O-Line better than Dallas' right now.

    Here's a great article outlining much of the beliefs we share. I don't think we're being homers in thinking that this year can and should be different for the Cowboys.

    Why the Dallas Cowboys will have one of the NFL's best offenses in 2016
     
    whydontyouhaveaseat likes this.
  10. whydontyouhaveaseat

    whydontyouhaveaseat Active Member

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2016
    Posts:
    128
    Referrals:
    0
    Sythe Gold:
    158
    2016-2017 NFL Discussion Thread

    The only team in the East that can make any noise besides the Cowboys are the Redskins. Unfortunately for them that noise is a whisper. Giants spent a bunch on free agency that will get them nowhere, their O-line couldn't protect a brick wall. Eagles are in complete rebuild mode so I completely agree with you. They're going to be scary in the East and the entire NFL.

    No not at all, and that's definitely a philosophy both the Packers and Cowboys have, especially with Rod Marinelli. The Packers were so stout that year, that's what I meant by the offense controlling the game, it allows your defense to rest up and it allows them to feast on the mistakes of the opponents offense which when playing from behind will generally make mistakes and errors. You're spot on with all of that, their offense is Top 5 when completely healthy and rolling. That O-Line is just scary. I'm honestly expecting a break through year out of Claiborne too, he has been phenomenal in camp and in his first team preseason snaps. Even if it's just preseason, he's always had that injury bug and I have always wanted to see him play like the top pick he was.

    It's partially being a homer because I say this every year haha, but no, in this instance it's definitely understanding the game and being able to analyze where a team is going. I mean even with all those injuries last year Dallas was still in the contention to be divisional champs until Week 13? Week 14? That says more about the rest of the NFC East than it does about the injury riddled Cowboys. They'll be back.
     
    I Bleed Duke Blue likes this.
  11. I Bleed Duke Blue

    I Bleed Duke Blue Sephiroth
    Do Not Trade

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2010
    Posts:
    5,837
    Referrals:
    0
    Sythe Gold:
    1,682
    2016-2017 NFL Discussion Thread

  12. hattez

    hattez Hero

    Joined:
    Dec 20, 2010
    Posts:
    6,077
    Referrals:
    10
    Sythe Gold:
    1,688
    Discord Unique ID:
    219321202957615104
    Discord Username:
    Hattez
    2016-2017 NFL Discussion Thread

    I was hoping romo would be alright this year and give Dak a chance to mature
     
  13. Hahanerd

    Hahanerd Sports Bettor - DM me if you have credit accounts.
    Retired Global Moderator Cracker Head Mudkips $100 USD Donor

    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2009
    Posts:
    19,358
    Referrals:
    87
    Sythe Gold:
    1,596
    Discord Unique ID:
    224351757424132106
    Discord Username:
    Hahanerd
    Former OMM Pool Shark (2) Detective Two Factor Authentication User Nitro Booster In Memory of Jon Rio 2016 Community Participant Sythe's 20th Anniversary
    2016-2017 NFL Discussion Thread

    Romo being out for a week means my Eagles can win the division hehe.
     
  14. whydontyouhaveaseat

    whydontyouhaveaseat Active Member

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2016
    Posts:
    128
    Referrals:
    0
    Sythe Gold:
    158
    2016-2017 NFL Discussion Thread

    I am so disappointed right now. Romo deserves better than that, honestly it was a cheap tackle by Seattle. At this point once Romo comes back he should just stay as the veteran backup only if Dak struggles in the first half of the season.

    If for some reason Romo does not retire after this year (which knowing him he will not), I hope he passes on as much as he can to Dak because he will be the QB of the future. There is no denying that.

    On another note, I'm also glad I picked up Dak in FA on my fantasy team lol
     
  15. Jack

    Jack The Infamous Spam Forum King
    Retired Administrator Cool Cat Legendary

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2011
    Posts:
    12,268
    Referrals:
    38
    Sythe Gold:
    876
    Member of the Month Winner Sythe's 10th Anniversary Wubba Lubba Dub Dub The Mortyest Morty Sythe Awards 2012 Winner Le Kingdoms Player Two Factor Authentication User Spam Forum Participant I'm LAAAAAAAME
    Signature of the Month Winner
    2016-2017 NFL Discussion Thread

    That would've been the best situation, guess this'll be an interesting start to the season
     
  16. hattez

    hattez Hero

    Joined:
    Dec 20, 2010
    Posts:
    6,077
    Referrals:
    10
    Sythe Gold:
    1,688
    Discord Unique ID:
    219321202957615104
    Discord Username:
    Hattez
    2016-2017 NFL Discussion Thread

    It's all a coin flip in my opinion. Dak could take the starting position and never let it go. Im more worried about his confidence being destroyed in that span. Rookies shouldnt have anything more than a clipboard in their hands. Every once in awhile a truly amazing athlete comes along and steals the show. Dak's showed he has some serious upside. If all goes well and dak handles the pressure, than romo becomes expendable. I would assume he would have a ton of interest from numerous teams. Cleveland, Denver, 49er's hell maybe even the dolphins.
     
  17. I Bleed Duke Blue

    I Bleed Duke Blue Sephiroth
    Do Not Trade

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2010
    Posts:
    5,837
    Referrals:
    0
    Sythe Gold:
    1,682
    2016-2017 NFL Discussion Thread

    Well the pundits like comparing him to Russell Wilson in style and demeanor, a guy that came in underrated and unrespected and was an exceptional rookie. Their college careers are quite similar as well. Here's hoping that turns out to be the case.
     
  18. hattez

    hattez Hero

    Joined:
    Dec 20, 2010
    Posts:
    6,077
    Referrals:
    10
    Sythe Gold:
    1,688
    Discord Unique ID:
    219321202957615104
    Discord Username:
    Hattez
    2016-2017 NFL Discussion Thread

    Ruseel wilson wasnt under rated. He changed schools in his last year and had to sit. When he went to Wisconsin he lit it up. He was just over looked because of his height/size.
     
  19. I Bleed Duke Blue

    I Bleed Duke Blue Sephiroth
    Do Not Trade

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2010
    Posts:
    5,837
    Referrals:
    0
    Sythe Gold:
    1,682
    2016-2017 NFL Discussion Thread

    Still a mid 3rd round draft pick. Nobody thought he would win the Super Bowl his 2nd year in the league.

    The problem is whereas Russell Wilson has one of the best defenses in the NFL alongside him, Prescott is going to have one of the worst if 2015 was any indication. Which will add immense pressure on him.

    Also Prescott is the only college quarterback in history to lead a team from unranked to #1 in the nation. And that was in the SEC, not the Big Ten where Wilson could feast on average defenses.

    I like the comparison between the two.

    People used to say Colin Kaepernick was better. The general public definitely underrated him. I agree with your last statement, but I also just think the public and pundits generally under-appraised him (Wilson). I know I did, personally. I watched him in College and didn't think his style would work at all but he proved me wrong.

    I've got faith in Dak. He's got some big time weapons to work with in Dallas. The biggest concern to me is Dallas' defense. The offense should have absolutely zero problem moving the ball. #1 oline in football, Elliott is a stud, Dez Bryant/Williams/Witten/Beasley/Escobar getting the rock. Scoring should be doable. Hopefully Scandrick returning = a less porous defense.

    Another favorable thing about Prescott is his ability to protect the ball. In college he only threw 1 INT for every 55 passes. If he can replicate that in the NFL, that will be huge.
     
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
  20. Jack

    Jack The Infamous Spam Forum King
    Retired Administrator Cool Cat Legendary

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2011
    Posts:
    12,268
    Referrals:
    38
    Sythe Gold:
    876
    Member of the Month Winner Sythe's 10th Anniversary Wubba Lubba Dub Dub The Mortyest Morty Sythe Awards 2012 Winner Le Kingdoms Player Two Factor Authentication User Spam Forum Participant I'm LAAAAAAAME
    Signature of the Month Winner
    2016-2017 NFL Discussion Thread

    The OL and run game will be huge for Prescott's development in terms of taking pressure off of him so he doesn't need to air it out all the time.

    There is a huge difference between the college level and NFL level defenses and speed of the game. Ideally he would have a clipboard in his hand like Hattez said for his first season at least but shit happens.
     
< UFC fight night on FS1 | Super Bowl Bets [Falcons or Patriots? >


 
 
Adblock breaks this site