Black Lives Matter

Discussion in 'Something For All' started by tMoon, Aug 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Black Lives Matter
  1. Unread #41 - Aug 28, 2016 at 6:50 PM
  2. zorro_
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

zorro_ Active Member

Black Lives Matter

I think the concept is good but as the movement grew and brought in more "members", BLM people have basically become SJWs, refusing to acknowledge statistics and launching emotional and ad hominem attacks against other people and organizations. As well, they seem to possess a feeling that their cause is the most important, or should constantly be acknowledged. I live in Canada, and during this year's pride parade, BLM demanded that they should have a float in the parade. Even more, they demanded that the police should not be allowed to have a float at the parade. Both demands are a complete joke, but it's just so hilarious that the BLM people believed they should be included. Pride is about sexual orientation not race.

3. Unread #42 - Aug 29, 2016 at 10:45 AM
  4. SuF
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Discord Unique ID:
    <3 n4n0 Two Factor Authentication User Community Participant Spam Forum Participant Sythe's 10th Anniversary

SuF Legend
    Pirate Retired Global Moderator

Black Lives Matter

As I've already stated they are being affected LESS (both in terms of absolute numbers and as a percentage) than whites in regards to police shootings. Regardless, the issue they are complaining about has nothing to do with race and they are being racist by making it about race. They should focus on fixing the actual problem instead of just calling everyone racists while being racists themselves.

^ Drimble likes this.
  5. Unread #43 - Aug 29, 2016 at 12:11 PM
  6. Wonderland
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

Wonderland spokesman

Black Lives Matter

Let me reiterate. White people make up 62% of the country's population. Self white interaction has the highest encounter rate out of any race. Absolute numbers are a hoax, especially if the two things being compared are nowhere near close in populous size. This is why we must account for each person individually. African Americans make up 13% of the country's population, but account for 24% of those fatally shot and killed by police, whereas white people make up 49%. If we're considering each person, this means African Americans are 2.5x more likely to be shot than a white American. I'm no mathematician, but how are African Americans affected less in this way?

How is it not about race? Being 2.5x likely to be shot and or killed by police than a race which makes up more than half of the country's population despite making up only 13% is pretty telling. How is it racist to bring this up?

What is the actual problem? They aren't calling everyone racist. How are they being racist?

^ Drimble likes this.
  7. Unread #44 - Aug 29, 2016 at 12:24 PM
  8. SuF
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Discord Unique ID:
    <3 n4n0 Two Factor Authentication User Community Participant Spam Forum Participant Sythe's 10th Anniversary

SuF Legend

Black Lives Matter

A recent study by a black Harvard professor found that in similar situations whites are about 20% more likely to be shot than black people: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/12/u...police-use-of-force-but-not-in-shootings.html

Black people commit more crime, are generally more violent, are generally poorly and live in worse neighborhoods so of course they have more interactions with the police and of course that means that they are disproportionality shot when you just look at their percentage of the population. It is absolutely meaningless to just compare those numbers because if X group made up 10% of the population and accounted for 100% of the crime I would expect them to be the ONLY people shot by police.

It's not about race because cops aren't shooting them because they are black. They are shooting them because they are violent thugs that are breaking the law and threatening the police. There is of course unconscious biases that people have that might make it so black people are more likely to experience poor police behavior but that is such a small problem compared to the larger problem of cops being assholes and shooting people. If you solve the bigger issue 99% of the shootings go away for everyone and of course you will still have the 1% that were actually racist. What BLM is doing is racist because they are turning a non-racial issue into one. They are purposely dividing us and that is not ok and they should be called out for being the awful people they are.

^ Drimble likes this.
  9. Unread #45 - Aug 29, 2016 at 12:41 PM
  10. Wonderland
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

Wonderland spokesman

Black Lives Matter

The study was performed accounting for 3 states, Texas, Florida, and California. Not only that, but this study ranges from 2000-2015. Police brutality got worse in the last 5 years.

Let me give you some statistics from 2015.

Police killed more than 100 unarmed black people in 2015

There is nothing wrong with shooting unarmed people? You still haven't told me how BLM is being racist. How is this not a race issue if you say there is bias? Bringing to light an issue that affects themselves means they are dividing the country? The country has always been divided. Learn the history.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  11. Unread #46 - Aug 29, 2016 at 12:56 PM
  12. SuF
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Discord Unique ID:

SuF Legend

Black Lives Matter

2000-2015 includes the last five years so the numbers already reflect the uptick you've described (although I haven't ever heard of a reputable source that shows that).

The stats you've quoted are meaningless because they lack context. What your stats have done is basically this: 258 black people were killed by police in 2015 but 494 white people were killed so clearly white people have it worse! No. It's completely meaningless without more context.

Unarmed is not the same as not a threat. If you are attacking a police officer, like Michael Brown did, the cop is absolutely in the right shooting you dead. If you don't want to get shot don't attack a cop, it's really not that hard.

I thought I had already explained how BLM is racist but I guess I'll say it again. BLM is turning an issue that has very little to do with race into an issue that is exclusively about race. I think that's racist. They are also full of black supremacists (see the Dallas shooter). Let's quote their homepage:

We are unapologetically White in our positioning. In affirming that White Lives Matter, we need not qualify our position. To love and desire freedom and justice for ourselves is a necessary prerequisite for wanting the same for others.

Just because they are black does not make it not racist, see:

White pride - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Black pride - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The BLM does not care about the vast majority of black murder, which are done almost exclusively by blacks. That's racist. They do not care about white people who get shot by police. That's racist.

Do I have to go on or is it clear that having a movement dedicated to one race is basically always going to be horribly racist?

13. Unread #47 - Aug 29, 2016 at 1:29 PM
  14. Wonderland
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

Wonderland spokesman

Black Lives Matter

That is a given, however I meant statistics from before that time are also grouped together so you still don't get a clear understanding. If I showed you statistics from the past 5 years, it would neutralize his study, if not void it.

Police brutality has cost billions of dollars in just the last 5 years alone

[​IMG]

Source

Why do you still state absolute numbers? For each time you do so, you should also present the populous %. The statistics I presented actually show the opposite.

If the officers life is in danger, yes.

Quote from their page:

The two aren't equivalent in approach. The vast majority of white murder are almost exclusively by whites. This is no different for any other race.

I'm still not seeing how BLM is racist.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  15. Unread #48 - Aug 29, 2016 at 3:16 PM
  16. SuF
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Discord Unique ID:

SuF Legend

Black Lives Matter

1) It would not in anyway void the study as the study doesn't care about the absolute numbers, only the percentages in the absolute numbers which I have no reason to believe have changed all that much.

2) I posted the absolute numbers to show you why they don't work since you also posted absolute numbers, of course they are meaningless. The statistics you posted are absolutely not the opposite and the ones that were not absolute numbers are missing context so they are also meaningless and let's show you why:

You quoted: "37% of unarmed people killed by police were black in 2015 despite black people being only 13% of the U.S. population"

and what that shows me is black people are LESS LIKELY than White people to be shot by police. Why? Look:

Blacks commit a even more disproportionate amount of violent crime in the country so they will have more interactions with police and are more likely to be a danger to police than white people. If blacks were equally likely to be shot by police as whites then black people would make up 45-62% of the people that police shoot instead of just 37%.

3) Which it clearly was in the Brown case but BLM still holds him up as a poster child.

4) I don't think what you've quoted is relevant to what I've said and I do not believe blacks are systematically targeted in police killings. I think the statistics show that they are likely systematically NOT targeted.

5) Clearly I know the definition of racism. Post in good faith or do not post at all, please.

17. Unread #49 - Aug 30, 2016 at 1:46 AM
  18. Wonderland
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

Wonderland spokesman

Black Lives Matter

1. Older averages would not be in concert with newer ones. If you add newer numbers to averages already stabilized, there is minimal difference. Using decade old data to prove a current event wrong in which rates have changed dramatically is the equivalent of showing an older picture of an object to prove it's in a certain condition in real time.

2. The statistics I gave accounted for each individual person. That is the opposite of what you posted. All of a sudden you care for context and in the same breath take context out of statistics that benefit your argument. None of these statistics are 100% accurate, it's an estimate.

Also, we're still talking about unarmed people being shot by police, correct? The statistics you're giving is not relevant to the statistic I gave and that you quoted. Crime is more apparant in poorer areas of inner cities. That is something that needs to be fixed, but the correlation isn't there. If an unarmed black person gets shot by police, does crime statistics showing black people commit crime at a disproportionate rate warrant the shooting? This is where you're getting at.

3. It's still a high profile case of an unarmed black person being killed by a police officer. At most, the situation could've been handled better.

4. I was showing BLM's course of action. I was countering your claim that BLM's objective is not caring about police brutality in a general sense, only caring about police brutality when they are the ones affected (which isn't a bad thing considering they are a minority group). If you re-read the quote you will understand, hopefully.

5. Clearly you do not if you're claiming BLM is racist, but have yet to give an example that is by defintion racist.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  19. Unread #50 - Aug 30, 2016 at 4:14 AM
  20. whydontyouhaveaseat
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

whydontyouhaveaseat Active Member

Black Lives Matter

If "BLM" cared about blacks killing other blacks, then I could understand their point. They only have an issues when it's police officers killing blacks in either an unjustified/justified situation.

I get their is a problem with racism in this country, but they are going about it the wrong way and ironically BLM in itself is racist/discriminatory in the fact they ignore black on black crime.

21. Unread #51 - Aug 30, 2016 at 2:15 PM
  22. SuF
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Discord Unique ID:

SuF Legend

Black Lives Matter

1) I'm not sure exactly what you are saying but I think it is highly unlikely that the pattern of police violence has changed so dramatically in the last 5 years that the 20%+ difference the Harvard study found is invalid.

2) I was not talking about unarmed people because BLM is not just about unarmed people. I was not using my example to prove my point. I was using to show why it was useless to prove a point.

3) He is held up as the poster child by BLM even though the cops actions were entirely justified. They are literally saying his life is more important than the cop's because he was black and the cop was white. I see the support of Brown has entirely grounded in racism and black superiority.

4) I disagree with their premise so I would obviously disagree with the actions they take based on that premise.

5) We aren't going to agree because we clearly have some fundamental differences in what we consider racist.

23. Unread #52 - Aug 30, 2016 at 2:31 PM
  24. SuF
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Discord Unique ID:

SuF Legend

Black Lives Matter

Just ignoring black and black crime by itself may not be racist, although it could be. It all depends on the reasons and context for why the are just focusing on a certain issue as opposed to another. Granted I agree with you and think they BLM is ignoring black on black crime because they are racists and want to blame someone that isn't black.

25. Unread #53 - Aug 30, 2016 at 3:52 PM
  26. whydontyouhaveaseat
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

whydontyouhaveaseat Active Member

Black Lives Matter

@SuF Yeah it's partially racist particularly since most of these incidents are with white officers, and that is all that seems to bother them. But when it's a black officer it becomes more of the issue on discrimination simply against police officers, that's what I was getting at.

By ignoring the black on black crime, which in itself has a way higher margin of deaths, they are excluding it from their protests because it does not fit their "Agenda". It's ridiculous and I find it appallingly hypocritical.

27. Unread #54 - Aug 30, 2016 at 6:35 PM
  28. mage3158
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Discord Unique ID:
    Discord Username:
    Crabby#0989
    Not sure if srs or just newfag...

mage3158 Grand Master

Black Lives Matter

You really need to get into a habit of posting sources.
    It sounds like you're going off memory and I'd like to see some evidence of what you claim.

It's also very important to see what situations they used, what methodologies were employed and whether or not the study was peer reviewed.

29. Unread #55 - Aug 30, 2016 at 6:39 PM
  30. SuF
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Discord Unique ID:

SuF Legend

Black Lives Matter

I posted the source in a later post. It was easily found on Google if you searched for "Harvard study on police shootings": http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/12/u...e-use-of-force-but-not-in-shootings.html?_r=0

31. Unread #56 - Aug 30, 2016 at 6:44 PM
  32. mage3158
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Discord Unique ID:
    Discord Username:
    Crabby#0989
    Not sure if srs or just newfag...

mage3158 Grand Master

Black Lives Matter

Doesn't matter, if you intend to use a study for your argument include it in your post. Especially since your argument was not completely correct.

And it seems that according to your study there is prejudice when it comes police brutality, but not in terms of lethal force (which is the same as against white people). So complaining about racially bias police brutality is fine.

33. Unread #57 - Aug 30, 2016 at 6:49 PM
  34. Program
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Discord Unique ID:
    Discord Username:
    FuukinAndy #6867

Program Formerly known as Andy Samberg
    Retired Sectional Moderator

Black Lives Matter

There's no point in citing sources. If you read this thread and others, the response to cited sources is "nu uh becuz nu uh". Or "you're data is inaccurate because it doesn't agree with mine and it doesn't consider all the circumstances." Which is true of the data sourced by everyone.

No one knows the facts. State your opinion and bow out. You can't prove anything unless you do a massive study that takes into account every variable. I've never seen a "Oh wow, I didn't see it that way and I didn't see that research. You're right" on this site since I joined. Waste of time arguing beyond stating your opinion and leaving.

35. Unread #58 - Aug 30, 2016 at 7:17 PM
  36. hattez
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Discord Unique ID:
    Discord Username:
    Hattez

hattez Hero

Black Lives Matter

Couldnt have said it any better, this is exactly how I feel.

Edit: It's surprising how many people are CNN headline news warriors.

^ Niki likes this.
  37. Unread #59 - Aug 30, 2016 at 8:25 PM
  38. Program
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Discord Unique ID:
    Discord Username:
    FuukinAndy #6867

Program Formerly known as Andy Samberg
    Retired Sectional Moderator

Black Lives Matter

If that's how you feel, why didn't you pm me that? Hypocritical.

Anyway, another thing I think about the BLM is that it's a really small issue in comparison to many other issues we have in our society. People put it in the public spotlight, while bigger issues fly under the radar. If for no other reason, I see it as a bad thing because of that.

39. Unread #60 - Aug 30, 2016 at 8:26 PM
  40. SuF
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Discord Unique ID:

SuF Legend

Black Lives Matter

Yeah I will try. I think I was on mobile when I wrote that post so I didn't feel like trying to find the source.

My understanding of BLM was that they were entirely focused on police shootings which is why I did not mention the other statistics.

< Closed | What do our oceans really contain? >

Users viewing this thread
1 guest
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Adblock breaks this site