Adblock breaks this site

[Guide] The Basics Of The Reptile Hobby [Guide]

Discussion in 'Archives' started by Xaranx, Aug 6, 2008.

  1. Xaranx

    Xaranx Active Member
    Banned

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2008
    Posts:
    181
    Referrals:
    0
    Sythe Gold:
    0
    [Guide] The Basics Of The Reptile Hobby [Guide]

    EDIT: I know this guide is really random, and that reptiles in a RuneScape cheating site does not really match well together, but eh, I wanted to make guide which was out of the box.​


    Searching for a new hobby? Sports...games...model cars...girls...NO? You've been through all that already?

    Then how about reptiles? This is a fabulous hobby for teen boys, and it is very underrated. How many guys do you know even own a reptile?


    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    I'm serious. You will be surprised to know how huge the reptile industry is. This includes housing reptiles and taking care of them as well as breeding them and making loads of cash out of them. In addition, the reptile hobby will also educate you by allowing you to observe the way reptiles act and live.

    I dearly hope this is not meant to advertise for you to go out and get into the reptile industry. I'm writing this guide so that you can all learn about the basics of the hobby, and from there on you can decide whether you should get involved or not.

    Alright, so let's get down to business.

    There are tons of reptiles in the market for sale. Snakes, lizards, geckos, turtles, amphibians, and others. Not only reptiles, but arachnids also. Arachnids include scorpions, tarantulas, centipedes and many more different creepy crawlers. It's all up to you.


    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Please know that with WHATEVER you want to get, you're going to need to know how to care for that reptile/arachnid. You will need to search for 'caresheets,' which is basically information regarding the reptile's care.

    Basic requirements for ANY reptile/arachnid include:

    *Enclosure (aquariums, tanks, terrariums, etc.)
    *Heating & Lighting (Some reptiles like the temperature HOT!)
    *Food (crickets are mainly what reptiles/arachnids eat. Rodents are what snakes eat)
    *Decorations (You need hides, logs, leaves, branches, stones, caves, whatever it is that needs to replicate the reptile's environment)


    [​IMG]

    Breeding

    Breeding is really not that hard. The entire breeding process (pregnancy, egg-laying, hatching, etc.) takes about a few months on average. All you basically need is a pair of the reptile you want to breed, and a big enough enclosure to suit their needs.

    How Much Does The Hobby Cost?

    Seriously, it depends on what you buy, and how much you buy it for. There are some reptiles that cost no more than a used video game, while there are others that cost as much as a Sony PSP or even a Nintendo Wii (such as those big snakes, or lizards with rare colour morphs & patterns). A Leopard Gecko, such as the one in the picture below, will frequently be on sale for only $30.

    [​IMG]

    A ball python in the picture below would cost around $100-$150.

    [​IMG]

    What Type of Reptile/Arachnid Do You Recommend For Beginners?

    For lizards, I would go with a Leopard Gecko or a Bearded Dragon.

    For scorpions, I would go with the Emperor Scorpion (picture above).

    For tarantulas, I would go with the Chilean Rose Hair Tarantula (picture above).

    For snakes, I would go with the Ball Python or the Corn Snake.

    I cannot provide the exact care for each of the reptiles I listed because otherwise I'd be here all day, but Google is without question the best source to find caresheets and information.

    Anyways, I hope I've opened up your minds a bit on the reptile industry.
    ​
     
  2. MegaMatt

    MegaMatt Death Or Glory
    Banned

    Joined:
    May 20, 2007
    Posts:
    6,103
    Referrals:
    8
    Sythe Gold:
    0
    [Guide] The Basics Of The Reptile Hobby [Guide]

    Great guide!
    This hobby seems very interesting and something that I'd love to get into :)
     
  3. The Dark

    The Dark Guru
    Banned

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2007
    Posts:
    1,601
    Referrals:
    0
    Sythe Gold:
    0
    [Guide] The Basics Of The Reptile Hobby [Guide]

    Very interesting, I have been interested in Reptiles for quite a while now and I found this good. I imagine you put a decent amount of effort into this guide. Well done.
     
  4. R33l2r3al

    R33l2r3al Grand Master
    $5 USD Donor Retired Global Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2007
    Posts:
    3,443
    Referrals:
    1
    Sythe Gold:
    0
    [Guide] The Basics Of The Reptile Hobby [Guide]

    As much as reptiles creep me out, I must agree with The Dark on this one. Very good guide, looks like it took a lot of work! Keep up the great work.
     
  5. lagbot

    lagbot Guru
    $50 USD Donor Trade With Caution

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2007
    Posts:
    1,892
    Referrals:
    0
    Sythe Gold:
    0
    [Guide] The Basics Of The Reptile Hobby [Guide]

    Very good guide, and nice pictures. I hate reptiles, they creep me out. I would never pick up this hobby, just because they creep me out. ALOT
     
  6. orlando_jordan

    orlando_jordan Guru
    Banned

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2008
    Posts:
    1,310
    Referrals:
    1
    Sythe Gold:
    0
    [Guide] The Basics Of The Reptile Hobby [Guide]

    I do like this Hobby.
     
  7. Crayola Oblongata

    Crayola Oblongata Grand Master
    Banned

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2008
    Posts:
    2,247
    Referrals:
    4
    Sythe Gold:
    0
    [Guide] The Basics Of The Reptile Hobby [Guide]

    You convinced me that this may be for me!
    Good guide! Some of the pics didn't show for me though
     
  8. hilariousness16

    hilariousness16 Super Asian :D
    Banned

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2008
    Posts:
    442
    Referrals:
    0
    Sythe Gold:
    0
    [Guide] The Basics Of The Reptile Hobby [Guide]

    hahaa, I've always wanted a turtle.

    8/10
     
< Selling lvl 84 Combat , 92 Ranged!!! | Rawr Im Phat's User Ed App. >


 
 
Adblock breaks this site