Legalize Marijuana?

Discussion in 'Something For All' started by xestrox, Nov 24, 2008.

?

Are you for or against legalizing marijuana?

1. For

385 vote(s)
    72.6%
  2. Against

145 vote(s)
    27.4%
Legalize Marijuana?
  1. Unread #581 - Jun 14, 2011 at 1:51 AM
  2. Trinity19
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

Trinity19 Forum Addict

Legalize Marijuana?

There is really no reason for weed not to be legalized, any argument someone on the opposing side gives is easily refutable and holds almost no evidence.

Best opposing argument even was when M.A.D came to my school and showed us a video of this guy and this chick smoking a bowl (just one lol) and drinking (but they never even mentioned this part or the fact they had been drinking on the way to the bar) and when the girls boyfriend went outside he apperently challenged some guy to a street race

(because when I'm fucked up all I can think about is fucking drag racing man i gotta do it gotta feel that rush >.>)

So the guy is going like 90 down a road with a 15mph turn and since he isn't vin diesel he obviously crashed and they both die.

Now I find so many things wrong with this, first of all as I mentioned they never even once talked about the alcohol. Just kept saying driving high can kill (even though from my experience I can say it's made me a better driver because I'm paying a hell of alot more attention). Second, the weed didn't kill him, going 90 into a tree did. And thirdly, we're supposed to feel sorry for this chick who died? She drank underage, got in a car she knew was going to be raced in and cheered the guy on...ya know until the whole crashy part.

Where did this whole rant go? Nowhere really, just my way of saying people against pot have nothing really to back them up than saying it's bad >.>

3. Unread #582 - Jun 14, 2011 at 10:45 AM
  4. xxlr0ngelxx
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

xxlr0ngelxx Active Member
    Banned

Legalize Marijuana?

for it , if its used for medical purposes already why not make it legal! , everyone smokes it wether the law likes it or not, mise well make it legal

5. Unread #583 - Jun 15, 2011 at 3:13 PM
  6. neo coolboy
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

neo coolboy Apprentice

Legalize Marijuana?

Almost all arguments here against the weed can be broken down and proven invalid.

1. Gateway Drug

Like stated above it is only a ''gateway drug'' beacuase the dealer wants you to try some of his shrooms, xtc, pcp or other shit when you buy from him.

2. Easier For Kids to get

I don't think it can really get easier to get than it is now. Other than a decreased price kids will still be able to get it. 5% of my facebook could probably get me some weed within 4 hours if I wanted some.

3. Health

Less toxic than alcohol and cigarettes. Can be used medically unlike the other two. If used responsibly doesn't lead to a very increased risk of cancer. Not physically addictive.

4. Sale

This is probably where the most ignorant comments revolve around. Weed itself would become increasingly cheap. When commercial companies start farming thousands of acres with machines the quality and quantity will increase. Because cannabis is a relatively hardy plant and can produce fast, output will be immense. Instead of that bud grown for 3 months in a closet you'll have commercially produced and fertilized weed. The price could go to like 1-2 dollars a gram.

5. Taxation

Because of the cheaper weed as stated above the government could impose 100% taxes on marijuana without hurting sales. People will much rather buy from a gas station pre-rolled than some sketchy dealer in the ghetto's. Drug dealing involving marijuana will die off because it just won't be worth it to waste your day growing weed for decreased profits and to a decreased customer base.

That basically sums it up, as with all bills there will be pro's and con's but in this case I fully believe that the pro's outweigh the con's.

7. Unread #584 - Jun 15, 2011 at 3:50 PM
  8. iDung
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

iDung Forum Addict
    Banned

Legalize Marijuana?

Marijuana is no different than selling alcohol or ciggerettes.

Any argument you use to go against the legalization of Marijuana would be required to have no conflict with anything that is currently legal.

Therefore I don't believe there is a reason for it to be illegal.

9. Unread #585 - Jun 16, 2011 at 1:07 PM
  10. djweasel
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

djweasel Legend
    Do Not Trade

Legalize Marijuana?

I don't really care if it's legal, people are still gonna do it.

11. Unread #586 - Jun 16, 2011 at 2:05 PM
  12. givonconner1
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

givonconner1 Member

Legalize Marijuana?

I believe the U.S. should legalize it in PARTS of the country. if its completely legalized, it will then be a lot easier to get, and law enforcments won't be able to crack down on bigger drug affilated drug dealers. When law enforcments crack down on drug dealers of the U.S. for marijuana, they dont only find that, but they find more drugs, and laced THC. So its like, you go in for something, and find something even better. but if Marijuana isnt something you can be arrested for any longer, it would be harder for law enforcments. but Hawaii should defenitly be a legalized place. "going back to honolulu, just to get that... That maui wowiee, that maui wowiee..!"

13. Unread #587 - Jun 18, 2011 at 3:49 AM
  14. Thee Fanatic
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

Thee Fanatic Guru
    $5 USD Donor New

Legalize Marijuana?

For:

There are no Good reasons Y it is Illegal.
    CIgs and Beer do more harm to you than Weed does.
    Its only because the effect that it does to people that the Government wont legalize it.

15. Unread #588 - Jun 18, 2011 at 4:16 AM
  16. malakadang
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Discord Unique ID:
    Discord Username:
    malakadang#3473
    Two Factor Authentication User Easter 2013 Doge Community Participant

malakadang Hero
    malakadang Donor Retired Global Moderator

Legalize Marijuana?

Hmm... contradiction, unless of course the effect it has on people is not a good reason.

Banning Cigarettes and Beer is unpragmatic, merely, idealogical.

Go out and pass a law saying that you'll ban cigarettes and beer and see what will happen. There will be a MASSIVE uproar.

This statement is completely irrelevant in the sense that is promotes the banning of 2 items that are unfeasible.

17. Unread #589 - Jun 18, 2011 at 5:16 AM
  18. Jason_x
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

Jason_x Apprentice

Legalize Marijuana?

In some sense the man has a point if you have every watched super high me he did not smoke marijuana for 30 days and had 96% lung capacity. After smoking marijuana all day every day he only lost a total of 4% lung capacity.
    Did better on the S.A.T. test high, rather than when he took the test sober. (Less stressful In my opinion).
    Relevancy being that people die of alcohol poisoning, as well as lung cancer and the like. The argument that weed is not bad for you is overstated but can you really overstate the truth?
    I want proof as to why a naturally occurring substance such as cannabis is a schedule 1 drug and Cocaine another naturally occurring substance, which is a drug with more adverse affects is only schedule 2?

19. Unread #590 - Jun 18, 2011 at 5:34 AM
  20. malakadang
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Discord Unique ID:
    Discord Username:
    malakadang#3473

malakadang Hero

Legalize Marijuana?

Some people smoke weed once and have become schizophrenic. Others have smoked it all their lives and are fit as a fiddle.
    I'm agreeing with those 2 facts in a spectrum, most just deny the former, and focus on the latter.
    Weed is not good for you, ask any neurosurgeon. Marijuana merely tosses you in an Altered State of Consciousness.

The difference is on a micro level, not a macro level.

I'm aware of how moronic a system can be, don't ask me, ask the people who put it on the list. I'm no drug expert and certainly don't intend to be one.

21. Unread #591 - Jun 18, 2011 at 7:09 AM
  22. Jason_x
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

Jason_x Apprentice

Legalize Marijuana?

Proof or invalid.
    Ok Now let me show you what you did there.
    This is the most common occurrence, which could be mistaken for any type paranoia, but its just that paranoia.
    Being high is just that I have freaked out first time i got high on dank, but guess what I did not will not develop any type of neurological disorder, if anything the disease was dormant to begin with.
    So a man by the name of Robin Murray says that age 15-18 the risk of schizophrenia is only increased by 4 times at the age of 15 decreasing to 1.65 at the age of 18 and to 0 past the age of 18. Assuming said risk is real then avoid cannabis use till the age of 18, or just leave people alone who do smoke marijuana for recreation purposes or for medicinal reasons.

MMMM war on Fallacies accomplished

23. Unread #592 - Jun 18, 2011 at 7:59 AM
  24. malakadang
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Discord Unique ID:
    Discord Username:
    malakadang#3473

malakadang Hero

Legalize Marijuana?

Not the source I originally found, but meh it's good enough - http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/evidence99/marijuana/Health_1.html

O, and also I know of a family who has had 3 kids.
    All became schizophrenic.
    All immediately after a use of marijuana.
    One of which, was her first use.
    The other two were after multiple uses.

You rebutted me by saying cannabis causes paranoia?

I'm not saying if you smoke cannabis, you will become schizophrenic. I am saying that the change of such increases.
    Ask anyone if they want to be schizophrenic, bi-polar etc. They will answer no.
    Yet they smoke marijuana.

Either they clearly don't care, or they don't know.

And bi-polar?

When did I ever say that marijuana bore no positive medical uses. Did I not preface by saying the system is moronic?

You also seem to neglect that smoking anything, is bad for you.

25. Unread #593 - Jun 18, 2011 at 12:34 PM
  26. angus07
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

angus07 Guru
    Do Not Trade

Legalize Marijuana?

exactly. Susceptibility to schizophrenia is hereditary. The chances of someone being diagnosed with schizophrenia as a result of cannabis use are ONLY present when smoking from development stages of adolescence to adulthood. Even then the chances are nearly nonexistent. On top of that you also must have a predisposition to schizophrenia which would cause the already infinitesimal probability of contracting the illness..even more [nearly] impossible.

I agree with your wording on the first few sentences as the chance does increase except that the increase in probability is so incredibly tiny,fractional, and insignificant (especially in those without a predisposition) that its hardly an argument.

Also i would like to enlighten you with something about the correlation between weed and illnesses such as bi-polar disorder and schizophrenia:

Oftentimes people experiencing these illnesses while/after smoking marijuana either already had the illness or were going to have it regardless of cannabis use or not. Many characteristics of these illnesses and the stages leading to them make marijuana very appealing to those with these issues. People do tend to forget or not consider the fact that people with these disorders are more likely/prone to abuse substances than the substance abusing them (causing the illness)....

ill just answer your question with your own quote:

This is a COMPLETELY one-sided statement. Thats like me saying water is bad for you...

and completely neglecting to mention all the benefits and the fact that the benefits outweigh the negatives.

i agree. smoking is bad for you. BUT, there ARE alternative ways to administer the herb (whether for recreation or medicine) which completely eliminate all the negative attributes that smoke contains (carcinogens, etc).

And the alternate route i choose to take to stray away from smoke is the use of vaporizers. google it if u dont know what im talking about. Essentially vaporizers just heat up the weed and release a vapor. Combustion does NOT take place and thus ... no smoke.

27. Unread #594 - Jun 18, 2011 at 12:58 PM
  28. Lurr
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

Lurr Member

Legalize Marijuana?

I'm lucky to live in a state where it practically IS legal ;)

Almost anyone can get a MMJ card here in Colorado - I've had mine for a little over a year now. I can go to the dispensary a few blocks away and pick up bud, edibles, oils, even medicated soda.

I noticed that someone mentioned that legalization could lead to the sales of more 'laced' pot; completely untrue. In fact, most black market marijuana has completely disappeared around here. You can no longer find 'shwag' or low-quality pot in the area, as high-quality and well regulated medication is readily available and much cheaper than it used to be. There's just no point importing the cheap stuff from Mexico, they can't even make a profit.

29. Unread #595 - Jun 18, 2011 at 1:09 PM
  30. malakadang
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Discord Unique ID:
    Discord Username:
    malakadang#3473

malakadang Hero

Legalize Marijuana?

Their parents and grandparents had no history of mental disorders, and the probability of such a case is well, virtually non existent. I probably didn't make myself clear.
    Marijuana is like a key, and the mental diseases are like locks.

Unless the illness is desirable, then I don't follow what your saying.

Are you trying to say that it's ok to smoke weed if you have a predisposition towards it as, if your going to get x disease, you might as well get it sooner rather than later.

If your prone to something, and you know a certain stimuli exacerbates, and hastens it, I'd think the best thing would be to avoid it.

Regardless, as I said, some people can become schizophrenic on a single encounter with marijuana. I don't care of their predisposition towards it, according to a drug expert I consulted, around 1/3 people have these disorders 'locked up in a box in the darkest realms of their brains' as he words it.

ill just answer your question with your own quote:

Your example would be a redctio ad absurdum, mine would not.

Besides, I hardly consider this negative being outweighed easily:

Marijuana meddles with the central nervous system by leeching to brain's neurons and disrupting with normal communication between the neurons.

Well, in all fairness, most people smoke marijuana, as opposed to engaging in these 'alternative ways'. All people that I know anyways.

You've tackled one issue that many do not. Now, is there a way to stop marijuana from disrupting the neural receptors in your brain?

31. Unread #596 - Jun 18, 2011 at 3:33 PM
  32. Jason_x
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

Jason_x Apprentice

Legalize Marijuana?

Ok one lets agree to disagree you are thinking from a clearly close-minded perspective.
    I made nothing but vali points posting facts, and you go back to the fact of the kids with schizophrenia and it only being active after they decided to one day smoke pot. Ummmm ok lets say Id believe this as far as the small percentage I did not forget to mention would only have an actual effect on them in any sort of significant way if they already had a schizophrenic gene as a recessive trait to begin with simple genetics mate.
    Also you contradict yourself more than once especially with your AMAZING neurosurgeon sentence.
    The so called harvard law website you posted is bogus.
    I COULD MAKE A MORE REALISTIC ONE IN MY SLEEP.
    Its all coded in basic html with no copyrights in regards to the actual Harvard school at alll hmmm sketchy much.
    mmmm ok what you are referring to is either a good point to what I said or more than likely just Paranoid schizophrenia more than likely anything else.
    Reword your sentences to make your point more valid.
    On a side note using google to look up Latin does not; will not ever make your point any more valid than GOD.
    Fallacies I will point out was a referrence to our immature countries failed fucking attempt at a drug war that will eventually get us extradited from such world leading groups like the United Nations if you can keep up.
    Baka see what I did there I quoted a different language without the help of google.
    Konbanwan,
    Get at me when you have something that is actual proof or just stop trying because im tired of reading bullshit
    No hard feelings smoke some pot maybe youll be able to consider yourself a risk taker, I mean you might develop schizophrenia.

33. Unread #597 - Jun 18, 2011 at 3:59 PM
  34. _tyler
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

_tyler Active Member
    Banned

Legalize Marijuana?

legalizing marijuana is cool until you're entire family is obliterated by a 1/2 ton truck driving the opposite direction of a 1 way road.

35. Unread #598 - Jun 18, 2011 at 5:32 PM
  36. angus07
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

angus07 Guru
    Do Not Trade

Legalize Marijuana?

i agree but im just saying you have to have the lock there in the first place to even present the possibility which even then is minuscule.... also the key (marijuana) is 99% of the time the wrong key...

all i am saying is people cant always say that weed causes illnesses...its usually the other way around... illnesses cause the [use of] weed.

agreed. unfortunately however, most people will not know they have a predisposition to it... unless of course they know of family history containing the illness.

i believe what you are saying. But I am just saying that although 1/3 people might have these disorders 'locked up in a box in the darkest realms of their brains,' marijuana will only be the correct key for about 0.03% (not factually accurate but u get what im saying) of the already fractional amount of people susceptible to it.

This might be true. However, that is one small con to a sea of pros. A simple google search could most likely fill you in on its astonishing amount of incredible medicinal benefits... from taking care of cancers to glaucoma to a migraine headache to simple sleeping or eating troubles.

Even aside from all this, i can realistically admit that marijuana might have a couple tiny cons here and there. BUT the fact of the matter is, it is IMPOSSIBLE to justify its illegality when compared to the endless amounts of other legal things with much worse and more numerous cons. Of course there is the common/obvious argument that tobacco and alcohol are worse... there is simply no question about it. then there is caffeine which is more addictive ... and of course the billions of other things (needles to say consumables) that cause more deaths than marijuana which still remains as a cause of 0 deaths.

Now, back to the quote in question, you talk about the disruption of neurons within the brain. Listen, I know you are a smart guy.... so I am going to assume you are well aware of what an SSRI (Selective seratonin reuptake inhibitor) is. Long story short: they fuck with your neurons/neurotransmitters, etc. Half the nation are on these types of drugs.

Do not even get me started on the rest of the medications out there today. Just think about the ones you always see on TV with the long lists of horrifying symptoms "this drug may cause bleeding of the colon, liver disease, cardiac arrest, lung failure, stomach cancer, death, etc."

Again...my most important point is that it is simply impossible to justify its illegality. People against its legalization often only have one or two small arguments when they dont even realize how much that argument is shit against all the cons legal things have. They should spend less time trying keep pot illegal and spend more time making medications/pharmaceuticals/edibles/everything else illegal with that logic.

Your 100% right. I have vaporizers myself but i still smoke it all the time lol.

Again, i agree with pretty much everything you have said, just trying to expand your perspective a little more.

your just an idiot on so many levels its ridiculous.
    1. alcohol will cause this to happen, not marijuana.
    2. I have driven drunk, i have driven high. 2 COMPLETELY different things. Oftentimes when i am high, i find myself to be MORE coordinated than when sober. A lot of times i do things with cat-like reflexes that i wonder how i even did and wonder if i could have done it sober. lol.
    3. your truck must be made of paper if it weighs 1/2 ton. Or maybe it is the newest release by tonka for kids ages 10 and up. Either way, how much damage could it possibly do anyway lol?
    4. number 3 was a joke in case you are too stupid to realize it.... which...judging by your post, you are.
    5. your an idiot.

37. Unread #599 - Jun 19, 2011 at 1:46 AM
  38. malakadang
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Discord Unique ID:
    Discord Username:
    malakadang#3473

malakadang Hero

Legalize Marijuana?

I'll go by an American statistic, than 58% of people have tried Marijuana at one stage in their life.

Population of America - Rounded down to 300 million, therefore 174 million have smoked Marijuana at one stage or another.

Given, that 1/3 people have a predisposition, 1/3 must be added to the equation.

Round it down to 57 million people.

Given that you say 99% of the time it's the wrong key, you infer 1% of the time it is the correct key; add this in.

570,000 people have their mental disease unlocked, after just ONE PUFF, statistically. 10 puffs and thats 5.7million.

Well, this is sort of counter intuitive, but while the chances of unlocking such diseases are so minuscule, when we take a step back and examine the macro level, they are extraordinarily large.

In life, there's always times where people are dealt with unfair cards, there are also pathways. Some pathways are the easy way out, and some are the hard way out.

I would postulate that smoking weed is the easy way out, and actively trying to combat your problem to eliminate it entirely, rather than the reliance on a natural drug that suppresses the central nervous system among other areas OF YOUR BRAIN the hard way.

The

If you completely don't want these illnesses, then don't take the risk. Otherwise, if you do take them, and you do get them, why do you complain?

57million/100/100x3 = 17,100

That's still 17,000 people that will become afflicted with said disease after 1 puff based on that statistic.

The chances are real. The effects are indisputable, the only thing is, no one knows.

I'll target migraine headaches, otherwise I'd write an essay.
    Levels of 'seratonin' are decreased when one experiences headaches.
    Marijuana does not effect seratonin levels.

Altering the brain isn't a very tiny con. Look at college students who take marijuana daily. Their memory, attention, and learning have been impaired immensely with the use of Marijuana.

The FDA in America fails, they admit it themselves.

I agree. However, one could say, desperate times require desperate measures.

I agree, however there is good reason why those medications are prescription only (there may be outliers, but that's the general rule of thumb).

You know, when people get into groups and smoke bongs, it can actually case AIDS if they use the same mouthpiece, provided of course the person who has it has a cut on their lip.

I should have prefaced, I'm not really that against it's legalization, I just wish people are more aware of what they're actually taking.

It's like alcohol, in it's early stages, people seem more talkative, friendliness, etc. It's not that however, alcohol depresses the activity of the brain centers responsible for judgement and self-control. Marijuana too has similar effects, and as I'm not an expert, I'm not going to say what it is precisely, only that I know it does suppress certain brain functions.

Irrelevant, people need to know what they smoke, and the risks. The statistics of one contracting such diseases are trivial at best. But the facts are real, pros and cons, people need to know what they smoke, if they do, then smoke away.

39. Unread #600 - Jun 19, 2011 at 2:52 AM
  40. blazinfasstt
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Discord Unique ID:
    Discord Username:
    blazinfasstt

blazinfasstt Guru

Legalize Marijuana?

bad science malak
    you can not say that 500,000 ppl have their mental illness' unlocked when you have absolutely no valid statistics to go on. 1% is not a realistic percentage.

before saying that unhinging mental illness' is one major reason we should outlaw weed, you should get your facts right, get some reliable statistics and consider all the other legal substances that unhinge mental disorders. ex. alcohol, a lot of over the counter prescription meds, life experiences.

weed has been known to unhinge psychological disorders, but the chances, like you said are miniscule. now, knowing that the chances are miniscule, why would you use such a large number like 1%.

1/3 of people have a predisposition for mental illness? where is the source for this claim?
    even if this is accurate, this takes into account all mental disorders, not just the ones that can be unhinged by weed. so you cannot use this stat with your calculation. ex. weed is not going to unhinge anorexia or bulimia.

as for it being able to cause aids, jesus malak your claims are ludicrous. it can cause aids the same way sharing a toilet seat can. the chances are just incredibly low. if you are using a bong, in order to get aids both people would need open wounds in their mouths and one would need to be bleeding a little bit. also, the cuts would have to be in places that the bong actually touches them. incredibly low chances of transmission. seriously, you have a better chance of catching aids from shaking hands with a carrier. this is no reason not to shake their hand.

weed does not suppress the CNS

im in university and i know a lot of b+ and a students who smoke weed. it does not cause the such immense impairments that you claim

malak, i used to kind of respect your opinion.
    but now i know that you are almost as ignorant as the average sythe goer.

seriously, when trying to make claims about mental disorders and the effects of drugs, please get some statistics. for god sakes. at least look at the DSM. i saw you trying to make claims about weed unhinging bi-polar disorder. that is ludicrous.

you really need to back up your opinion with some fact dude.

< Gun Control. | Before time? >

Users viewing this thread
1 guest

Adblock breaks this site