In-depth mm2 Chinning guide | part II

Discussion in 'Guides' started by The Sweatshop, Jul 25, 2020.

1. Unread #1 - Jul 25, 2020 at 8:25 AM
  2. The Sweatshop
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Vouch Thread:
    Click Here
    Discord Unique ID:
    Discord Username:
    underconstr
    The Dark Side Two Factor Authentication User Gohan has AIDS

The Sweatshop Formerly known as Under Constr
    $200 USD Donor New

Introduction

Since the release of mmII the meta has shifted from chinning in the mm1 tunnels to the vastly superior mm2 location. I've spent a fair few hours down in the mm2 tunnels [Combined I've gained roughly 300m+ xp in range/mage] and even though the mm2 caves have been around for a little over 3 years it still surprises me how many people are "doing it wrong"
    The main reason I'm making this topic is to address some of the main misconceptions, provide people with a calculator to determine chinning/bursting costs as well as some shameless self-promotion as I offer mm2 related services ;) Without much further ado, let's get started.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

A word from the author
    In this guide I will be referencing/using various online resources, the main ones being:

DPS calculator by bitterkoekje.
    This spreadsheet is the basis for all dps and accuracy calculations found in this guide. It's also the basis that was used to make the Chinning and Magic calculators.
    Bitterkoekje on Twitter

Under constr MMII Chinning calc:
    Derived from bitterkoekje his dps calculator, this calculator will accurately calculate the supply costs, exp per hour, cost per hour and supplies necessary for chinning
    Under Constr-MMII chinning calc

Under constr MMII magic calc:
    Under constr -MMII magic calc
    Derived from bitterkoekje his dps calculator, this calculator will accurately calculate the supply costs, exp per hour, cost per hour and supplies necessary for bursting and barraging

OSRS best in slot.
    OSRS | Gear Picker Tool | Pick Any OSRS Items, View Stats and Share
    Used this website to collect most of the gear images displayed in this guide.

Gear
    This is one of the main area's where people don't seem to understand how damage per second and accuracy works so let's start with the basics.

Introduction on how accuracy works
    Meet bob, our mmII tunnel locked maniacal monkey.

[​IMG]

Bob might not look like much but he has some powerful offensive stats. His defensive stats, on the other hand, are pretty shit. As a matter of fact, bob his defensive stats are comparable to that of a "thug"
    Maniacal monkey
    Thug

Bob his stats
    [​IMG]

Thug's combat stats
    [​IMG]

Ok cool, So what does this mean?

Let's say you were to attack bob and his friends in the best range accuracy bonus gear possible with a range level of 75, what is the likelihood of your black chin not rolling a 0? If we input this into the dps calculator we get the following result: 98.04% accuracy. This means we will only "splash" around 2% of the hits. Pretty impressive right?

[​IMG]

But what if we do the same thing without any gear at all? Remarkably our accuracy is still at 96.19%, meaning that without any gear only 4% of our chins will miss.

[​IMG]

from this, we can gather that gear has little to no effect on your actual accuracy at maniacal monkeys. This applies to range as well as mage.

So, what should you be wearing?
    The best gear setup you can use is a setup where you optimize your prayer bonus and only sacrifice it for damage multipliers.

The damage multipliers for range are:
    anguish: 5 range strength
    Full void range: 10%
    Full void range elite: 12.5%
    Ava's assembler: 2 range strength

Best Gear setups [chinning]:
    Taking the above-mentioned damage multipliers into account we can establish be following gear setups.
    (For the accuracy percentages we are assuming black chins, max potted, rigour, and 75 range. but the gear setups are relevant regardless if any of the variables change!)

Every setup includes the following items:
    Book of law
    Avas assembler
    Ring of the gods

If you don't have these items, this is the order to replacement them in:
    Shield slot:Book of law -> any god book ->broodoo shield
    Cape slot:Avas assembler -> ardy cloak 4->, ardy cloak 3>any trimmed skill cape or ardy cloak 2 -> any godcloak
    Ring slot: Ring of the gods, Ring of the gods, Ring of suffering, Ring of suffering, explorers ring

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Positioning

There are two main ways to position yourself:
    the afk "middle of the room" position and the "shuffle alt" position.

[​IMG]

THe afk position
    The "afk" or more commonly known as the middle of the room position is what the majority of people use to train their magic. I've trained upwards of a 100m mage xp and while doing so I've tested different positions. For afking, I've found that the tile marked below is the best in terms of XP gain for afking. This is a very specific spot in that it's one square of the west wall and two squares of the north wall. In this position, the monkeys cannot get behind you and the west wall and will form a very dense grid east of you allowing for superior xp rates over the normal middle of the room method.

I highly advise against afking with chins for multiple reasons, If you do not plan on stacking your npc's i would strongly advise sticking to nmz!

[​IMG]

The shuffle alt position.
    Firstly let me explain what shuffle alts are.
    Shuffle alts or dancing accounts are accounts that follow each other to "null" an npc and thus allowing other npc's to walk through it and stack up. Doing this allows maximizing the xp per cast or throw.

Video explaining the concept more detailed:

My personal preferred location is slightly different from the location more commonly used. I've noticed that if you use the spot a couple of square east a "rouge" monkey will sometimes block all the monkeys coming in from the west and thus messing with your xp rates if you are not paying attention.

However, this position will not work if you are not using alts to stack.

Some other useful info

When should you be chinning?
    If your goal is to get 99 range chinning is the way to go. Not only does it work cheaper in terms of costs vs blowpiping in nmz, it's also a lot quicker. [Scales + darts + p pots to 99 range is actually more expensive than using red chins in mm2]. If you plan on getting high slayer or get do allot of range based pvm I would stop chinning at ~95.

Which chins should you use
    This depends on budget but I would highly advise against using black chins. They cost roughly 2.5X of what a red chin would cost and only improve your XP ph by about 35%. Due to the lack of bots hunting grey chins, I also wouldn't advise using greys as they almost cost the same as red.

This concludes part II from my mm2 maging and chinning guide.
    Part II will be about chinning
    Part III will be about XP rates, cost calculations and Misc

^ Zeus likes this.
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
  3. Unread #2 - Jul 26, 2020 at 8:19 AM
  4. danm8
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Discord Unique ID:

danm8 Newcomer

Very well written and thorough A++