School Shootings

Discussion in 'Something For All' started by Wonderland, May 19, 2018.

School Shootings
  1. Unread #21 - May 21, 2018 at 2:18 AM
  2. ShipTheFlip
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

ShipTheFlip Formerly known as Wintastical
    $300 USD Donor New

School Shootings

We've already stopped, read above posts. It was important because originally the OP implied that accessibility to automatic weapons was the problem when they were already illegal.

What type of stricter gun control do you propose? I would bet my life that removing the right to own/purchase a gun will not happen in the next 100 years in America.

3. Unread #22 - May 21, 2018 at 9:18 AM
  4. X4NRSA
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Programmer
    Two Factor Authentication User Potamus

X4NRSA Korean snob
    $100 USD Donor New

School Shootings

Banning guns will not work. Certain drugs are banned yet people seem to get their hands on it. Banning guns will just take guns away from people who want to protect themselves and put them in the hands of people who own guns illegally and actually use it to harm people. Plus America was built on the constitution made by the founding fathers. The right to bear arms was a huge one and was revised to have very specific writing. So there is no way something like banning guns would ever happen.

5. Unread #23 - May 21, 2018 at 4:29 PM
  6. ASAP Roc
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

ASAP Roc Active Member

School Shootings

Not entirely sure because many factors take in place when dealing with these situations. Might as well throw up metal detectors in every entrance of schools, which is sad that we have to come to this. And yeah removing right to own/purchase will most likely never happen in America unfortunately lol. People hold the constitution closer to their hearts than the bible. The 2nd amendment was written like 200 years ago. If everything changes with time, why not the amendments.

7. Unread #24 - May 21, 2018 at 4:42 PM
  8. ASAP Roc
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

ASAP Roc Active Member

School Shootings

I understand that. Yes, we can't eliminate guns completely because their will always be a way to obtain something illegally. But it is a step in the right direction to REDUCE the problem/chances of school shootings to happen.

You said "Banning guns will just take guns away from people who want to protect themselves" and "Only put them in the hands of people who want to use it for harm"

Which can also be true. But like i said, there will ALWAYS be good and evil in this world. Everything in the universe has to balance. We do not live in a perfect world and we just have to accept that. My point is, the more guns reduced in america over the span of X amount of years = more chances of reduction with shootings (in general, not just mass shootings)

^ Charlotte likes this.
    Last edited: May 21, 2018
  9. Unread #25 - May 21, 2018 at 8:49 PM
  10. X4NRSA
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Programmer
    Two Factor Authentication User Potamus

X4NRSA Korean snob
    $100 USD Donor New

School Shootings

I mean, as you say, if there is evil, there has to be good.

CDC Study: Use of Firearms for Self-Defense is ‘Important Crime Deterrent’

Guns are used just as much defensively as it is offensively. By banning guns, you would essentially skew the balance of it in the other direction. The number of lives saved from self defensive use of guns is not a something to laugh at.

And gun control doesn't have a direct correlation with rate of shootings/crime. Main example being Chicago (I know its the example everyone points but its hard to challenge the statistics there).

^ ASAP Roc likes this.
  11. Unread #26 - May 21, 2018 at 10:48 PM
  12. Zidek
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

Zidek Click Here For Cheap 07 Gold

School Shootings

I'm a strong believer that the only way to reduce gun violence in schools is to have armed security guards/resource officers in schools. In 2012 i was in the cafeteria in chardon, ohio when Tj lane came in and started shooting. Was the scariest moment in my entire life. Running past kids that were just laying on the ground bleeding and dying, it still haunts me to this day. I always feel like if we had an officer in there when that happened, the injuries and deaths that happened that day would be slim to none. Unfortunately one of my best friends was a victim that day.

I feel like the media is bringing too much attention to it. Leading kids who I feel like want to die, being inspired to go out like this because they know it'll bring a lot of attention. The same way news channels are not allowed to report suicides, i feel like they shouldn't be allowed to report school shootings. Obviously theres a few pros and cons to that but i think this would definitely help along with putting officers in every school.

13. Unread #27 - May 31, 2018 at 4:32 AM
  14. Andy Samberg
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Front-End Web...

Andy Samberg Web Developer, Get Your Site Today!
    $50 USD Donor New Technical Core PR Team Member

School Shootings

Some of those shootings were accidental or just happened to be on school grounds and weren't school related. Articles that claim 23 shootings in the US this year and all the news coverage of every shooting is why there's so many shootings in my opinion. It's being glorified by the media. Now every idiot kid thinks he'll get all time glory if he takes his petty anger out on his peers and teachers. I read an article about some country I forget which, that has a even more open gun culture and rarely if ever gets shootings. Taking away guns won't stop dumb people from doing dumb things, if they can't get access to guns then they can get a semi-truck and go 100 mph into a crowd of people.

tl;dr I think blaming guns is stupid. People are stupid. Media are inflaming the issue by glorifying it.

15. Unread #28 - Jun 10, 2018 at 4:45 PM
  16. TottieGod
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Developer
    Extreme Homosex (2) Gohan has AIDS (2)

TottieGod Formerly known as rob15369
    $300 USD Donor New

School Shootings

This goes way beyond a single issue. It is broken up into many different issues and the media sensationalizes it as a gun issue. I think first and foremost we need to separate political agendas from what is actually good for the populus. That in itself is a huge feat, because gun owernership is such a divisive topic.

17. Unread #29 - Jun 10, 2018 at 11:19 PM
  18. Bryan
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

Bryan Our hearts beat, Our minds think, So let's think to the beat

School Shootings

Has 0 to do with media or laws, none of these people are declared healthy, sick or deranged people need help and never seek or receive it. And people saying Ar-15's and shit are so terrible can screw off, you could do the same thing with a pistol or shotgun, also don't get me started on "semi-automatic rifle" that is any pistol or assault rifle wow. There is nothing we can do to stop them because the source is hidden from those who need to know it is happening. Our depressed society has finally broken loose.

19. Unread #30 - Jun 12, 2018 at 5:33 AM
  20. Pendulum
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Detective Member of the Month Winner Two Factor Authentication User Writing Competition Winner

Pendulum ironman btw
    Pendulum Donor Games Moderators Market Moderators Our Community Moderators

School Shootings

I basically agree with this, except the media part is kind of hard since they are mostly covering the tragedy for the victims, and people do want to know who the attacker was.

We often hear of the soup of mental heath problems they've been dealing with along with just plain bad luck, which gets funneled into an act of vengeance. Other at risk or like minded individuals see this and it plants the idea in their head. I don't think there is a way to solve this, I think people need to realize that what they say and do really does affect other people. Just be aware of others and be nice.

"Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself."

21. Unread #31 - Jun 16, 2018 at 6:13 AM
  22. ilovegold69
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Doge I'm LAAAAAAAME

ilovegold69 Guru

School Shootings

I think it's also worth thinking about the archetype of the people commiting these atrocities, and to actually give more empathy to the young boys who are being pushed down this path, rather than dehumanizing the shooter and their potential successors.

It's amazing the blindspot the ideological left has to the public school system that is clearly failing young men in favor of tunnel visioning femenism and BLM. Not to say these shooters are innocent, but it's annoying that nobody will entertain the idea that low-status boys are getting a shit deal.

23. Unread #32 - Jun 17, 2018 at 9:18 PM
  24. Bravos
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

Bravos Newcomer

School Shootings

The problem isn't that people have easy access to obtain guns. There are loopholes and workarounds to obtaining guns, such as making your own or purchasing them off the record, which criminals already do. I believe that there is literally no way to fully prevent mass shootings, because if someone is determined to do something they'll do it. I think having armed security/police at schools would drastically reduce the amount of school shootings that occur. This logic applies into situations other then school as well, because of the fact that a person with a gun who has good intentions will be able to eliminate the shooter before more harm is done. Overall, guns protect over 1 million people a year, while they take 30,000 lives a year (including suicides) so the argument to remove guns is plain stupid, in my opinion.

25. Unread #33 - Jun 18, 2018 at 10:02 AM
  26. Charlotte
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Ampharos Carrot Detective Two Factor Authentication User Christmas 2016 Halloween 2016 Summer 2017 Christmas 2017
    Sythe RSPS Player SytheSteamer Official LoL Rank Verifier Official Overwatch Verifier

Charlotte American Dream
    Legendary Administrator

School Shootings

Do you think that means we need to start having a discussion about implementing more resources easily-accessible (and possibly cheaper/free) for mental health, or to guide those who may be misguided due to life at home?
    ——

I’m in the military and I’m very pro-gun. I used to think no one except military personnel and police should have access to such guns. Now I’m more towards: perhaps regulate the ammo accessibility and types. I don’t know a whole lot about these things but from hearing about them from guys at work who work with guns all day, I definitely can see where that could help. Down in Florida we always used to hear about how easy it would be for a felon to buy a gun at a flea market. I never believed in banning guns. Regulation is definitely necessary. We need to start asking what kind, and what we can do to get ahead of people who may be mentally ill (although I don’t think all murderers in general or shooters are psychopaths, sociopaths, or mentally ill in general). I guess one could say extremist beliefs could be caused by underlying mentally ill traits, because of upbringing, etc.

I also think deterrents are a big help for any sort of crime. Police cruising in their cars is most of their job, besides responding to calls and making reports for any arrests or tickets. A majority of the navy’s job is deterrance - we’re cruising around in the ocean, chilling next to countries that don’t like us, just close enough to be seen. Having trained & armed resource officers at school is something that I think it’s totally reasonable and would help. I had a resource officer who was an actual police officer, in elementary school, who was always armed with a pistol on his hip. I saw him every day.

< Is gay sex wrong? | What is the purpose of life? >

Users viewing this thread
1 guest