Please fucking upgrade the forum software

Discussion in 'Approved Suggestions' started by Grave, Apr 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unread #1 - Apr 7, 2015 at 7:47 PM
  2. Grave
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Discord Unique ID:
    Discord Username:
    grave#9889
    Pizza Muncher Brony (3) MushyMuncher (2) Le Monkey (2) Not sure if srs or just newfag... Bojack Penguin (2) Wubba Lubba Dub Dub (2) Gohan has AIDS (2) Dunce
    Rust Player I'm LAAAAAAAME Yellow rat

Grave #1 preferred sexual partner of Ciara "5/5" -New York Times
    $5 USD Donor

The software on the forum is ancient. I know there's downsides to upgrading for a message board this large but there's some absolutely crucial features that this software is missing that are extremely helpful when used on other websites. I personally do not use Sythe anymore as many members because it lacks features that makes other websites enjoyable to use. At the very least, look into a major upgrade of systems if you're not going to ever update it.

1. Tagging someone in a post
      A lot of different message boards have the ability to do something such as @grave and it will notify that person they're mentioned. This will then guarantee a response across the entire board
    2. Notifications
      It's nice to know when someone's posted on your thread without having to "subscribe" to it. Also, it'd be nice to be notified of someone replying for a duration of time to keep a thread active.
    3. Nesting comments/replying to a comment
      Let's discussions happen on a comment without spamming the entire thread. And then there wouldn't be people bitching to stay on topic.
    4. Mobile experience
      The website is absolutely horrendous to use, whether you're on the mobile theme or not. It's just not something I even begin to think about because of the way it is currently.
    5. Communication
      We should be able to create better notifications for private messages, adding multiple people to private messages, and pretty much having a way to communicate easily; SytheChat was a good attempt but failed
    6. Better bumping
      The current bump system works okay for market threads but it's terrible for every other situation. There should be different ways of promoting threads to get people's attention and keeping active or useful threads on top such as a voting system; this should be at the very least an optional method of viewing the forums. The current highest-views method of sorting them is not a great option
    7. Moderation
      New software has its advantages for the staff too. The mod queue wouldn't be so long if it was easier to do and took less time.
    8. Topic Preview
      Navigating through the forums quickly is key. Users shouldn't have to rely on just the titles to get a snippet other than hover hover hover to see if it's what they're looking for
    9. Search
      The current search system is abysmal at best. It's the worst on any website I've ever seen. When we have to resort to Google search to find links on Sythe, that tells you something
    10. Attracting new users
      With the way the software is, how it's displayed on a growing number of mobile users, and everyone else but us moving forward, it's hard to attract anyone to use Sythe. We had to install an external software or do modding to get SEO friendly titles. Everything just looks like a wall of text everywhere. The registration page looks like this instead of this

3. Unread #2 - Apr 7, 2015 at 7:54 PM
  4. Virtual
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Two Factor Authentication User Halloween 2015 Easter 2015 Sythe's 10th Anniversary

Virtual Guru
    $25 USD Donor New

5. Unread #3 - Apr 7, 2015 at 8:00 PM
  6. Loyal 2 da game
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Two Factor Authentication User

Loyal 2 da game Formerly known as Loyal To The Game

got to say, the mobile theme is currently a disaster and needs some major fix ups. in fact the whole mobile theme has been a fiasco on this website for awhile. there used to be a fairly decent mobile theme a few years back. where did that go?

and yeah, ive seen all the threads be denied before about the forum of this size having major risk to transferring to a newer forum software, and all the addons that will need to be rewritten, + this that and the third, but jesus lol vB 3.6 came out in mid 2006, which might not sound like that long ago, but that's nearly 9 years ago. imagine if in 09 this forum was using software from 2000. that's how old this shit is. however, the forum is super stable so ill give it that.

7. Unread #4 - Apr 7, 2015 at 8:23 PM
  8. SuF
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Discord Unique ID:
    <3 n4n0 Two Factor Authentication User Community Participant Spam Forum Participant Sythe's 10th Anniversary

SuF Legend
    Pirate Retired Global Moderator

That thread is really just to give the mods an excuse to close moronic threads that say the same thing for the 19th time and is regularly ignored, especially by me.

We can do a lot of this without upgrading vB.

I just really fucking want @user. I really hate nested comments. I put up with them on Reddit and they are useful there but I really am not fond.

9. Unread #5 - Apr 7, 2015 at 8:28 PM
  10. Wonderland
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

Wonderland spokesman

It sucked when the vB4 project got tossed. A lot of the custom made features weren't compatible with the new version I believe?

11. Unread #6 - Apr 7, 2015 at 8:45 PM
  12. Mattxy8
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

Mattxy8 The Best Steam Game Shop
    Do Not Trade

I support this actually, most of it doesn't bother me though.

The mobile website doesn't matter to me at all

13. Unread #7 - Apr 7, 2015 at 9:02 PM
  14. Tee 07
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

Tee 07 Active Member
    Banned

Agreed, also possibly a trading system like Playerauctions would turn this side into pure gold.

15. Unread #8 - Apr 7, 2015 at 9:23 PM
  16. vegeta508
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

vegeta508 Buying All CS:GO Keys/Skins/Knives!

Agree with mostly everything, but honestly the two biggest things everyone has wanted forever now is @user and notifications.

17. Unread #9 - Apr 7, 2015 at 9:26 PM
  18. Dial
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Sythe's 10th Anniversary Two Factor Authentication User MushyMuncher Member of the Month Winner Easter 2015

Dial Experienced Web Developer
    $200 USD Donor New Pirate PHP Programmers

I agree completely.

19. Unread #10 - Apr 7, 2015 at 9:42 PM
  20. CompileTime
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

CompileTime Professional desktop/web application developer.
    Banned

Support, I've wanted this since I joined sythe.

21. Unread #11 - Apr 7, 2015 at 9:56 PM
  22. FlyingToast
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Blue Turtle Pokémon Trainer Gracious

FlyingToast I Don’t Have An Xbox ,Sorry
    Legendary

Don't worry it's coming with vb4

23. Unread #12 - Apr 7, 2015 at 10:56 PM
  24. SuF
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Discord Unique ID:
    <3 n4n0 Two Factor Authentication User Community Participant Spam Forum Participant Sythe's 10th Anniversary

SuF Legend
    Pirate Retired Global Moderator

Not upgrade was likely one of the best decisions that has been made. I've started work as a software developer and I more or less rewrote one part of a small front end website and it has taken me days to work out all the little bugs and shit. Software is fragile as fuck and Sythe is running enough custom stuff that transitioning would be annoying as fuck.

25. Unread #13 - Apr 8, 2015 at 2:10 AM
  26. Potion
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

Potion Member
    Banned

I support this. The functionality described above would definitely boost the forum. However I understand the complications associated with this so it could possibly be made a long term project to allow for sustained integration testing?

The only issue I see would it would have to be a version that has proven itself to be just as stable as the current version. Yet since Jelsoft sold VBulletin it seems to get buggier by the day.

27. Unread #14 - Apr 8, 2015 at 2:17 AM
  28. Raptor lx
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Potamus Two Factor Authentication User St. Patrick's Day 2013 Gohan has AIDS Homosex Tier 1 Prizebox

Raptor lx Guru
    $25 USD Donor New

To be honest a lot of this is due to the problems with the vb software suite itself imho. MyBB/XenForo don't have these issues for the most part.

29. Unread #15 - Apr 8, 2015 at 2:26 AM
  30. Bert
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Vouch Thread:
    Click Here
    Discord Unique ID:
    Discord Username:
    bertgold
    CARRRRL that kills people Baby Yoda The Dark Side Radioactive Ninja Oktoberfest 2013 Wubba Lubba Dub Dub The Mortyest Morty Diamond 420 yolo swag blaze it fuck the popo legalize it anyone got some chips
    Ninetales Primeape Weedle Wurmple Spinda Chingling Swellow Tangrowth Wynaut Snover
    Piplup Penguin Kingdra Seadra Yanma Venomoth Drifblim Snubbull Magikarp In Memory of Jon

Bert bertgold - Buy/Sell RSGP - Click Here.

Support on most points. Especially the mobile,anf also the pms:p

31. Unread #16 - Apr 8, 2015 at 3:25 AM
  32. Burntish
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Vouch Thread:
    Click Here
    Discord Unique ID:
    Discord Username:
    Burntish#8295
    Two Factor Authentication User Sythe's 10th Anniversary Tier 1 Prizebox Halloween 2014

Burntish Actual Best Rates! | Buying/Selling 07 Gold
    $100 USD Donor New

Support 100%. We NEED notifications and @user especially. I usually never notcie when someone posts on a thread of mine or refers to me.

33. Unread #17 - Apr 8, 2015 at 3:41 AM
  34. S
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Discord Unique ID:
    Discord Username:
    sm2797
    Two Factor Authentication User

S noobies

I agree with everything you said, especially points 1, 2, 4, 5, 9 and 10. I hope this garners some sort of attention.

35. Unread #18 - Apr 8, 2015 at 7:53 AM
  36. Matt
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    SOTMx5 In Memory of Jon

Matt Don't be afraid to fail... Be afraid not to try.
    Retired Sectional Moderator Ninja Graphics Artist Competition Winner THERSG0D Donor

I agree but lets see what Matthew or Sythe says. I wont support or no support anything before one of them post.

Although, notifications is a must-have and PM conversation would be cool.

EDIT:

Theres been confusion about what Im saying here.

There might be a lot of work updating every feature that Matthew has implemented. I want to know how hard it is to update all the features before making my decision. Why? Because I dont want him to have no life updating every little feature he worked so hard on... :p

Also, its cool features to have but Im okay with the current forum so thats why Im not saying support right away. It really depends on how hard it is to change everything.

EDIT2:

Also, I know nothing is easy and we have to get it done at one time or another. I just wouldnt want to be Matthew if everything I changed and implemented on Sythe for years wouldnt be compatible with the updated version.

37. Unread #19 - Apr 8, 2015 at 9:34 AM
  38. Pol Res4
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

Pol Res4 Member
    Banned

39. Unread #20 - Apr 8, 2015 at 10:18 AM
  40. Raptor lx
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Potamus Two Factor Authentication User St. Patrick's Day 2013 Gohan has AIDS Homosex Tier 1 Prizebox

Raptor lx Guru
    $25 USD Donor New

The fact that you can't edit your own thread titles shits me too, but I presume that's a shortfall of vb.

< Forum Thread Searching | The ability to search your PMs >

Users viewing this thread
1 guest
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Adblock breaks this site