Using and reading Dial Calipers

Discussion in 'Archives' started by BayBay, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Unread #1 - Mar 1, 2009 at 9:08 PM
  2. BayBay
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

BayBay Forum Addict
    Banned

Table of Contents
    1.Intro
    2.What is a Dial Caliper
    3.Uses
    4.Reading Dial Calipers
    5.Where to buy

1.Intro
    In this guide I will be showing you what a dial caliper is, how to use it and how to read it. You might think this is boring-but read on. It has many interesting and helpful uses that I will show you.

2.What is a Dial Caliper​

Dial calipers are a precision measuring tool to say it simply.

The earliest caliper has been found in the Greek Giglio wreck near the Italian coast. This ship dates back to 6 BC!. The wooden piece already featured a fixed and a movable jaw. These are rare to find, as wood does not hold up well over hundreds of years.

The modern caliper was created in 1851 by American Joseph R. Brown. This was the first very accurate tool available to the everyday Joe the machinist.

They come in 6,8,10 and 12 inch versions, and obviously the larger one you but the more it will cost.

They come in two styles, digital or mechanical. I prefer mechanical as they're more accurate and a lot cheaper

Mechanical
    [​IMG]

Digital
    [​IMG]

3.Uses

Dial calipers are used to take precise measurements accurate up to 1 thousand of an inch! This is very useful to quickly find out how large a bolt is without having to break out the inaccurate ruler.

My dad is a machinist and it is an essential tool that allows him to use his job. Scientists also use this to get accurate readings.

It can be used to measure 3 different ways. This diagram will show you the 3.

• [*]Inside measurement
      [*]Outside measurement
      [*]Depth measurement

[​IMG]

There are 3 parts of a dial caliper you should know about, These are..
    • Lock screw- very important, it locks the dial caliper in the position its in. You can then move the instrument around for comparison without loosing your original measurement.
    • Dial indicator- looks like a clock, it has 100 numbers used to get the measurements, Contains internals of dial caliper
    • Bezel clamp- Used the stop the face of the dial indicator to not move, There's really no reason for loosening the bezel clamp or the face will start turning messing up your tool.

4.Reading Dial Calipers

Ok so obviously there are 1000/thousands in one inch. With 10 increments in between each inch. Each increment would be equivalent to 100/thousands. On the dial there are 100 numbers each of which is 1/thousand. This may sound very self explanatory, but i want to make sure everyone understands.

It might seem intimidating and complicated at first, But in reality dial calipers are simple to read one you get the hang of it. You read it in the order A-B-C, as the diagram shows you.

If the hand on the dial is between 2 numbers you just need to estimate the reading. If you see it exactly in the middle round up.

[​IMG]

So that would make that reading 1370 thousands

5.Where to buy
    You can buy a digital or mechanical dial caliper at most tool and die stores. They range from about $25 all the way up to a few hundred dollars!Although I will say you dont need to buy the most expensive one to get a tool that measures acccuratly. I have a $35 one that works fine for all my purposes.

Many top brands are made in Europe so you can also check online if your looking for a top quality instrument.

Thanks for reading my guide, please leave comments

3. Unread #2 - Mar 1, 2009 at 11:54 PM
  4. fruit12
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

fruit12 Active Member
    Banned

cool...nice guide!

5. Unread #3 - Mar 2, 2009 at 5:44 AM
  6. Brix
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

Brix Active Member
    Banned

If I was to use this it wouldn't be to bad.

7. Unread #4 - Mar 2, 2009 at 6:40 AM
  8. BayBay
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

BayBay Forum Addict
    Banned

Thanks, I hoped it would be useful:D

< How to become a "Non-Profit" or "Politician" on youtube!! | How to catch pond trout! >

Users viewing this thread
1 guest

Adblock breaks this site