Should teachers get paid more?

Discussion in 'Something For All' started by getonmylvl, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Unread #1 - Jun 19, 2016 at 4:04 PM
  2. getonmylvl
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

getonmylvl one life so live it well

Ok, so I'm gonna start off with my observations.

- My Dad became a teacher, he went from working in a well paid job, to being just on average pay in the UK, circa £26k a year.

Being a teacher means you have to be well qualified, and have a high level of education. On top of this, it means you have to be influential, and try your hardest all the time. If you aren't working hard, the people you teach won't do well...

Why I think they don't get paid enough

I hear so many people say "teachers get a lot of time off, so it's all good"... sadly as I have seen, this isn't true. He gets up at 6AM every day, in school by 7:30 and works pretty much all day, til around 6PM. He then comes home, and most days works til 8PM, sometimes later. Weekends, he also works at least one of the weekend days.

During holidays, or current holiday, he has marking for the first 2 weeks, has some time off, then more marking and prepping course material, then a holiday, then back to school. By the way, when I say "marking", this is pretty much 9AM to 6PM, with a few breaks in between. So pretty much a normal day then. On top of this currently the UK changes with courses ETC, at least with GCSE and A level at the moment, so every year he has to update his materials anyway, which takes days to do.

I was thinking about it, and effectively he earns something like £50 a day, if i worked it out correctly (was some time ago, some leeway) however for the number of hours he works, he's potentially under the minimum wage.

The weird thing is, he's earning a tenth of what he used to earn, and the job seems more stressful as well, he clearly doesnt really enjoy it.

I have probably missed out a lot, so I will be updating this...

So why do people with such high qualifications, dedication and patience get paid so little? They are one of the key ingredients to a good society...

Cheers Ollie

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  3. Unread #2 - Jun 19, 2016 at 5:05 PM
  4. Kolour
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

Kolour Member
    Banned

so he went from a job making $330k/yr to $33k/yr?

?

5. Unread #3 - Jun 19, 2016 at 5:09 PM
  6. getonmylvl
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

getonmylvl one life so live it well

pretty much mate, not posting details but it was actually a bigger leap than that

7. Unread #4 - Jun 19, 2016 at 6:09 PM
  8. JSand
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Discord Unique ID:
    <3 n4n0 Wait, do you not have an Archer rank? (2) Potamus Pokémon Trainer Easter 2019 Sythe's 10th Anniversary Spam Forum Participant Two Factor Authentication User Heidy Lawrence

JSand Guru
    $50 USD Donor New

Teachers have one of if not the most important jobs in the world and they get paid shit, of course they deserve to get paid more.

^ getonmylvl likes this.
  9. Unread #5 - Jun 19, 2016 at 6:25 PM
  10. Program
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Discord Unique ID:
    Discord Username:
    FuukinAndy #6867

Program Formerly known as Andy Samberg
    Retired Sectional Moderator

i think it would be great if teachers were paid more. I know most of my teachers were the show up and collect their pay-check type. Maybe if they pay check was more worth their time I would've learned something fro them.

11. Unread #6 - Jun 19, 2016 at 6:27 PM
  12. Shall Skill
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Paper Trading Competition Participant ???

Shall Skill Sigma Alpha Mooooo
    $100 USD Donor

Moms a teacher - she actually makes above average money here in the states now that she has tenure (sp?). They get paid more year after year, and after 10 years they're making pretty good money. However, it's still not enough! They work their asses off

13. Unread #7 - Jul 5, 2016 at 8:58 AM
  14. Lvl 75 Def
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Potamus Mr. Peanutbutter Member of the Month Winner Christmas 2013 Two Factor Authentication User

Lvl 75 Def Always confirm through PM!
    $100 USD Donor New

I can't comment on teachers outside of belgium at all. Here though i've found alot of teachers don't teach because they want to educate young people but because the job has alot of benefits even though it doesn't pay well.
    Even within the circle of people i know, some want to teach because they get alot of days off and it seems "chill". This attitude is ofcourse very very wrong and i've experienced this first hand with alot of my former teachers. They lack passion, motivation and are generally lazy. Ofcourse i can't generalize all teachers and put them all in one bracket. But from what I've seen the older generation compared to the new one is enormous, alot of new teachers here lack motivation.

15. Unread #8 - Jul 5, 2016 at 12:33 PM
  16. RiskofSTDs
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Discord Unique ID:
    Discord Username:
    Risko#0267
    Paper Trading Competition Participant Easter 2016 Poképedia

RiskofSTDs Guru
    $25 USD Donor New

Teachers in Canada are payed extremely well. I think you can expect at least 65k+ a year in like your first years which is actually more then it seems because they get fucking like 4 months off every year lol and seeing you can also be one in like ?3 years of Unil? i know some teachers who are 24/25. They get a bad ass union with bad ass pension plans and bad ass benefits.

fun fact the highest payed teachers in my high school under like administration staff where the shop teachers. Apparently if your a Journey man in a trade you come and teach like construction they have to compensate you to what you'd be making as a private contractor. I know my welding teacher in HS was making 110K+ a year since he was my neighbor and my old mans best friend. For a 9 to 3:30 job with 4 months off each year like wtf the dream boys

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
  17. Unread #9 - Jul 6, 2016 at 3:38 AM
  18. kmjt
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

kmjt -.- The nocturnal life chose me -.-
    Banned

The problem is if you give teachers a lot it will attract more people who shouldn't be teaching and don't care about the students. They will only do it for the nice pay.

^ Water Services likes this.
  19. Unread #10 - Jul 6, 2016 at 1:12 PM
  20. Water Services
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

Water Services Chillin', billin', time killin!
    Banned

Heres my opinion:

Becoming a teacher isn't forced onto you, its a choice. Teachers do what they do because of the passion they have. It provides a personal job satisfaction. It is a respected job.

I personally believe teachers/firemen etc... who do things for the interest of others should be caking it.. its pretty fucked how the system is atm..

Teachers play a crucial role in the development of students mentality and behaviour and I think that itself should be be enough for them to get a shit load of money. But having said all of that your pops must have known the salary before hand, he's probably stressing on the outside but secretly he loves it!

EDIT: A personal tutor can earn anywhere between £15-£150 an hour depending on the class size. If money was really an issue all teachers can attract pupils to their tuition! The label 'teacher' must go down well with students/parents.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  21. Unread #11 - Jul 6, 2016 at 1:57 PM
  22. SmokeHut
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Discord Unique ID:
    Discord Username:
    Okesseril#7961
    Gohan has AIDS Sythe's 10th Anniversary

SmokeHut Great men grow tired of contentedness.
    $100 USD Donor New

What you've got to remember is that you can't take more from a pot than what is available.

Whether you're just throwing the random 'why do footballers get paid so much, our soldiers should get it instead' or basing it on moral principles.. The fact remains that school budgeting isn't going to allow teachers to be rolling in dough when their market is essentially 0 on return.

Perhaps an engineer or a process operator for a petrochemical site might be pulling in close to £100,000 a year their return is greater than their cost, essentially. Less qualified; perhaps. However, a jobs impact on society isn't reflective of their return in profits. A stock broker making countless amounts of profit for their company will be rewarded in a percentage of their profit margin. A teacher doesn't bring any return on their invested value so they are a cost/expense to any governing body.

Say you doubled their salary, the budget isn't going to change so you half the workforce. £26,000 a year isn't the best, though it's more than the average ( I think ) and enough to live comfortably.

23. Unread #12 - Jul 6, 2016 at 10:11 PM
  24. Entrr
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    OG Club STEVE Tier 1 Prizebox In Memory of Jon

Entrr Hero
    Legendary Retired Global Moderator

Teachers in Canada make enough considering they get 3 months off a year. Even if they're genuinely putting in 12 hour days at their most senior level they're arguably overpayed.

In addition because they're unionized it's taken away the incentive of some teachers because they're highly unlikely to get fired so they sort of just float along while being grossly overpaid for their effort.

^ Logic likes this.
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  25. Unread #13 - Jul 7, 2016 at 2:09 AM
  26. Dunworry
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Discord Unique ID:
    Discord Username:
    andrew7548
    In Memory of Jon Former OMM Dragon Claws

Dunworry Reality is perception
    Retired Global Moderator Dunworry2 Donor

Not sure how it is over in the UK, but elementary through high school teachers make like $50-65K/year ish in the area of the US I'm in. Factor in the 3 months they get off, that would be 62-81K/year if they worked as a teacher with the regular 2 weeks of vacation, which is comparable to most average jobs in America. If they're hard pressed for money, it's easy enough to offer tutoring on the side as well as have a part time summer job.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
  27. Unread #14 - Jul 7, 2016 at 7:55 AM
  28. Slice
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Discord Unique ID:
    Discord Username:
    theonlyslice_95640
    Heidy (2) Extreme Homosex (2) <3 n4n0 Homosex Potamus (2)

Slice Cheapest RSPS/OSRS Prices on the market!
    $500 USD Donor

My mother is a teacher too, she doesn't get paid very well either. i agree with you. teacher's job is so difficult especially you really feel like its a "Job" More than anything else

29. Unread #15 - Jul 11, 2016 at 1:21 PM
  30. Xier0
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Sythe's 10th Anniversary DIAF Lawrence Member of the Month Winner Gohan has AIDS

Xier0 Legend
    $5 USD Donor New

Teachers are overpaid for the "work" they do. They make money regardless of how they perform, the children are forced to be in school regardless.

^ Anet390 likes this.
  31. Unread #16 - Jul 11, 2016 at 2:23 PM
  32. Admires
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Two Factor Authentication User

Admires Grand Master
    Retired Sectional Moderator

In a perfect world, teachers would get paid more, however, it's contingent on the labor market. As of now, at least in the U.S., becoming a teacher is not the most difficult thing. If they got paid more, it would just attract more people who don't care about the job (just the money). You could raise the requirements on what it takes to become a teacher and naturally they would get paid more, but I feel this is the only way. Maybe make teachers acquire a Ph.D.

33. Unread #17 - Jul 11, 2016 at 11:11 PM
  34. ilovegold69
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Doge I'm LAAAAAAAME

ilovegold69 Guru

I disagree. If you're talking about lazy k12 teachers who teach out of a book and don't put in effort to plan interesting classes, I totally agree, but I'm a teacher (teaching in an institute) and I can assure you there are people who put in hours of work planning classes (off paid hours) every day and have shitty public school jobs. The problem with schools is that there are too many kids and not enough teachers. The fact of learning is that you can't put 20 kids in a room with 1 teacher and expect it to be a useful class for everyone.

I teach in the private sector as a foreign language teacher and even though my students are usually adults well past their learning prime, they still learn way faster than any high school kid could. This isn't because I'm a great teacher (I am tho chill), rather that I teach 1-3 people at a time, and the company they work for can afford to pay for more teachers. This is BY FAR the best method of learning and we already know this.

The problem with all of this is that teachers are paid a pretty unexciting salaries to sit in front of 20-30 students, and are expected to interest and efficiently teach all of them. This kind of teaching entirely falls on the students motivation to absorb. This is a problem when half of the class has adapted to this method and others are entirely bored of it. It doesn't matter how long you sit a child in a room, if they aren't motivated, they won't learn shit. You can't have a system that works for everyone if you can't afford to have classroom sizes of under 10. I feel that this is often misattributed to teachers being 'bad'. I believe that MOST 'bad' teachers gave a shit at some point.

There is no way to fix this issue until we have teacher robots or fucktons of money.

You don't need a Ph.D. to teach children.

Teaching isn't hard, it just consumes all of your free time if you plan on being a good teacher. Then you arrive and cycle through 6 classes of sub-adult humans who haven’t got the slightest clue what you do for them and all just want to leave.

35. Unread #18 - Jul 12, 2016 at 12:59 AM
  36. Hyona
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

Hyona Member
    Banned

Wow, 26k a year? that's below average for teachers in my area. I thought they were underpaid. If teachers ar paid more it'd improve the quality of education

37. Unread #19 - Jul 13, 2016 at 3:37 AM
  38. Glowie
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

Glowie Newcomer
    Banned

Yes in foreign countries especially

39. Unread #20 - Jul 13, 2016 at 1:31 PM
  40. Pikachu
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Vouch Thread:
    Click Here
    Discord Unique ID:
    Discord Username:
    __pikachu
    Verified Ironman I saw Matthew Member of the Month Winner Detective Toast Wallet User
    Sythe's 15th Anniversary Nitro Booster (2) Two Factor Authentication User Christmas 2023 Poképedia Valentine's Day 2021 Valentine's Day 2020 Valentine's Day 2019 Torchbearer 2016 Pokémon Trainer
    Easter 2017 Easter 2016 Christmas 2022 Christmas 2021 Halloween 2022 St. Patrick's Day 2017 Christmas 2016 MushyMuncher Summer 2022 (2) The Glizz

Pikachu Runewager.com - Osrs Gambling
    Market Moderators Bond Holder CDT Member Our Community Moderators

Well I was going to wright big debate on this but it's honestly very hard for us all to descuess with every country is paying their teacher differently
    A big different from these 2 comment as example

But if were talking about let's say 35k a year, they have masters and they get 3 months off it's fair wage. 30k$ FAIR, 25k fair, 20 no fair. anything over 35k year over pay.

When you compare teaching to a job like builder, it's quite easy job in comparison , they work 6 hours a day Monday threw Friday, yes they get paid well depending witch wage they get.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
< What do you think when you hear the word Muslim? | BREXIT - Your Thoughts >

Users viewing this thread
1 guest

Adblock breaks this site