School: How much do we really learn?

Discussion in 'Something For All' started by Insane, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Unread #61 - Apr 28, 2015 at 8:56 PM
  2. Enemy
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

Enemy Forum Addict
    Banned

It depends what field you get into. But yes school is essentially extremely important, just because you get into construction or a trade where oyu don't use your knowledge you learned from school doesn't mean its not important.

3. Unread #62 - May 1, 2015 at 12:49 PM
  4. MaxedMainRental
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

MaxedMainRental Member
    Banned

From school you more so learn a work ethic rather than the material itself. If you are hard working in school it will translate over to you as a person and during your career.

5. Unread #63 - May 1, 2015 at 4:46 PM
  6. Bako Buy
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

Bako Buy Forum Addict
    Banned

it depends which age group or if you mean school in general. I felt like i learnt nothing important for most of my first 3 years in secondary school however closing in on the exam seemed like i learnt a lot more.

7. Unread #64 - May 2, 2015 at 8:33 PM
  8. torvastrz
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

torvastrz Newcomer
    Banned

the greatest purpose for school is to socialize people

9. Unread #65 - May 5, 2015 at 6:17 AM
  10. gracienc
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

gracienc Apprentice
    Banned

In high school you "learn how to learn". Even in bachelors, most of the time you're preparing yourself to face and solve problems, any kinds of problems, not only the ones you were taught how to solve in your bachelor. You think differently.

11. Unread #66 - May 7, 2015 at 10:35 PM
  12. arontayn
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

arontayn Forum Addict
    Banned

School is a waste of time after sixth grade in most cases. Even up to sixth grade you can do so much better if you or your parents know how. I wish so badly that I had dropped out after sixth grade and began pursuing something useful. But I graduated two years early, so atleast I didn't have to suffer the normal sentence.

13. Unread #67 - May 10, 2015 at 4:09 AM
  14. Quorial19
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

Quorial19 Member
    Banned

some learn a great deal, others nothing.

15. Unread #68 - May 27, 2015 at 12:21 AM
  16. Purple_Lethal
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

Purple_Lethal Member

We learn how to learn, which is very important as things are always changing.

17. Unread #69 - May 27, 2015 at 10:29 AM
  18. strong ilan
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

strong ilan Forum Addict
    Banned

In School you learn as much as you want to. If you go to school with the attitude that school is shit and ur not going to learn anything ur not going to learn. But go to school thinking im going to learn stuff then u gain alot. Also what type of school you go to matters. I go to a grammar school so I end up learning alot that is outside of the syllabus as it interests us and it essentially prepares us for the real world.

19. Unread #70 - May 27, 2015 at 11:24 AM
  20. JuzGargIt
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

JuzGargIt Active Member
    Banned

Honestly I think school nowadays is bullcrap, it's not about learning but about marks. It's about assignments teachers give way above the knowledge of the child therefore parents have to do it.... A lot to be blamed for the above is the education board in our country no choices, forced to do 11 subjects till grade 11 and 9 from there on.

21. Unread #71 - May 27, 2015 at 1:37 PM
  22. The Para
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

The Para Forum Addict
    Banned

School gives you the foundations for life, it's then up to you to further develop yourself in the outside world.

Certainly, things could be better, more consistency in the curriculum across all schools would be a positive step (Applicable to certain countries)

Education is something many of us take for granted, it's more important than most think.

23. Unread #72 - May 30, 2015 at 1:00 PM
  24. JustGoNow
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

JustGoNow Forum Addict
    Banned

Most of the stuff you learn in school is for if you become a teacher, to teach others the pointless crap you've learned.

25. Unread #73 - Jun 2, 2015 at 6:44 PM
  26. arontayn
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

arontayn Forum Addict
    Banned

Lolol. That's basically it huh?

27. Unread #74 - Jun 7, 2015 at 9:41 AM
  28. AcesandEights
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Christmas 2014

AcesandEights Active Member

People are not being educated; they're being tested for levels of obedience. School is about memorizing what you are told short term and repeating it. The bulk of how you are graded is by completing daily work. Obedience is, in fact, work force's most important quality in a worker bee.

“The biggest atrocity of all is to indoctrinate our children into a system that does not value their creative expression, nor encourage their unique abilities.” -Benjamin Greene

What does school really teach children?
    1)Truth comes from authority
    2)Intelligence is the ability to remember and repeat
    3)Accurate memory and repetition are rewarded
    4) Non-compliance is punished
    5) Conform: Intellectually and Socially

29. Unread #75 - Jun 8, 2015 at 9:57 AM
  30. Chosenn One
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Tier 1 Prizebox (3) SytheSteamer

Chosenn One I'm the guy your parents warned you about.

School is there to help everyone be prepared for the real world. Not in terms of work, but more about learning and developing in a specific field, or subject.
    But it also depends on what you get into, eg. Engineering = Maths, Health = Science, Business = Accounting/Business Studies.

I'm currently working as a Paramedic, and everything I learnt in highschool.. I remember completely none of it. Literally, none of the major subjects in school mattered such as: History, Geo, Music, PE, Language etc.
    Although I can't say the same about Maths and English since that's an everyday function of our brains.
    Everything I learnt in University.. I remember less than half of it. Almost everything felt like it was all irrelevant when it came to the real world job. But all that which was achieved in school and in Uni is there to help you get where you want to be.

31. Unread #76 - Jun 12, 2015 at 4:11 AM
  32. Strongjaf
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

Strongjaf Forum Addict
    Banned

It might sound cliché but it's kindof true that the things that matter the most in life you don't learn in school

33. Unread #77 - Aug 6, 2015 at 9:04 PM
  34. 11e
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

11e Active Member

Lol school is good but also not so good. A lot of the stuff you learn in classes are stuff you won't use if your choosing to on a certain career path. I mean yeah the knowledge is great but is it really necessary? I don't think so. Second, school doesn't really teach you how smart you are, but how RESPONSIBLE you are. If you don't study for a test, then woop-dee-doop, u got an F. If u study, grats u got a good grade (or at least a better grade than if u didn't study). But for real, there were times when I didn't know a thing then the day after a test I knew it all because I was RESPONSIBLE enough to do the studying. Lol so yeah a lot of things aren't necessary.

35. Unread #78 - Oct 12, 2015 at 9:04 PM
  36. Solpi
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

Solpi Member

To be honest, anyone who says 'lol!! like we really need to know this extremely advanced math for real life' or anything similar, should look deeper into it.

Yes, we probably should be taught how to budget, find work, or how to find help just incase something terrible goes wrong (homelessness, citizenship, etc), but have you ever considered that without the traditional school environment we would all have to learn things the hard way in adult life? We will never become "wise". We would be new to certain emotional hardships such as breakups or social anxiety.

We learn a lot from school, maybe not much in reality's standards helpful, but school's there to build your character in your extremely hormonal years. That's why there's college! :D

37. Unread #79 - Nov 16, 2015 at 3:09 PM
  38. Surfy
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

Surfy Peasant
    $50 USD Donor New

This totally depends on you level of education and field. You could go into something like chemical engineering and learn just about everything from a four year degree. Or be into business and go experience it for years on your own and learn more than any education could teach you.

39. Unread #80 - Nov 19, 2015 at 6:30 PM
  40. fragan77
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

fragan77 Guru
    Banned

We learn to handle stress and cope with it. That's the point of school, in my opinion. Its not a matter of you remembering every little thing you've been tested on. But to be better equip when the time comes that you're under a lot of stress, at work, for instance.

< Caller ID Spoofing | What do you think when you hear the word Muslim? >

Users viewing this thread
1 guest

Adblock breaks this site