How To Tell if your Name is Rare or Not + Name Market Tips/FAQ

Discussion in 'RuneScape Name Sales' started by Dunworry, Jul 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unread #1 - Jul 25, 2015 at 2:08 AM
  2. Dunworry
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Discord Unique ID:
    Discord Username:
    andrew7548
    In Memory of Jon Former OMM Dragon Claws

Dunworry Reality is perception
    Retired Global Moderator Dunworry2 Donor

What is a Rare Name

• A rare name is essentially a display name that is coveted by others. This can be either a word, a short number, a color, etc. Not everything is encompassed under "rare", so below is an in-depth guide on how to be able to tell if your name is rare or not.

What is this Thread for?

If you have any questions about your name, or you aren't sure if it is considered rare or not after reviewing this guide, CLICK HERE, link below as well, to have experienced people in the name market price check it for you. This is a guide that should help you categorize your name to determine if it is indeed rare or not. Below are listed categories that should fit most if not all names, so that you can fit them into a category for appraisal.

http://www.sythe.org/name-sales/1580172-name-price-check-topic.html

What Makes a Name Rare?

Rare names are entirely based off of desire. The more desire a name has, the rarer it is. People have slowly developed a preference for certain types of names over the years leading to a sort of guide that people in the past have developed in order to help categorize names. But you may be asking why the names below are rare? Why not others? Here is a quick list of what makes a rare name rare:

• Generic Words: These are names that you commonly hear. People hear them a lot, so they want them.
    • Short Words: While these may not necessarily be spoken as often, people want these a lot. People enjoy shorter names; therefore, they have more demand and become rarer.
    • Common Knowledge: This means that the character / company / whatever it is, is well known.
    • Desire: This means essentially what name is cooler. For example, people would pay a lot more for the name "Lion" than the name "Goat" simply because people think lions are cooler, scarier, etc. This applies to pretty much every single name in the market.
    • Availability: The less a certain type of name is available, the rarer it is. There are so many regular colors: blue, green, orange, etc. Since there are only a handful, the value of them makes them extremely high.

What is Rare?

1 - One (1) Character Names: There are only 36 possible in the game, and there are even fewer due to bans and inactivity. You can't get much rarer than this.

Examples: H, 4, S, 8

2 - Skill names: Also extremely rare due to the limited amount of skills. There are only 25 skill names able to be taken, since Dungeoneering is too long, and even less available due to bans and inactivity. Again, extremely rare.

Examples: Mining, Fishing, Slayer, Strength

3 - Words: These are common everyday words that you'd hear in everyday speech. This does NOT include names with suffixes such as -ed -s -ing etc. Generally the shorter they are, the rarer they are.

Examples: Hi, Fat, Fire, Peace, Legend, Monster.

4 - Two (2) character Names: These are names that only have two characters in them, any combination of letters and numbers. The rarity of these dropped significantly when hundreds were released into the game during the name release, but they are still worth a fair bit.
    NOTE: Albeit being more rare (numerically), letter-digit combos seem to be worth less than letter-letter combos.

Letter-Letter examples: Nc, Sa, Le, Bp

Letter-Digit examples: d3, 8a, v4, f6

5 - Two (2) Digit Names: These are digit-digit names, and are considered rare due to there only being 100 of them in-game, and even less due to bans and inactivity. Hard to get your hands on one of these, so best of luck.

Examples: 17, 48, 79, 37

6 - Certain in-game Items/characters: Not all of them in-game items and characters are rare, but some of them are. Among the list would be gods, extremely common single worded items, very common characters, etc.

Examples: Zamorak, Bandos, Elf, Gnome, Glory, Fury, Vorago, Sword

7 - Real Life Names: To the right person who has this name, these names are worth a LOT. Many people want their real life name as their RuneScape display name, so the more common ones can fetch high amounts.

Examples: Kyle, Sarah, Ryan, Rebecca

8 - Days/Months/Holidays: These are all rare in varying degrees. And no, unofficial holidays such as "Donut Day" or something are not considered rare. Mainstream holidays.

Examples: Sunday, August, Christmas, Easter

9 - Animals: These are always coveted by animal lovers and people who like their favorite animal.

Examples: Shark, Eagle, Tiger, Fox

10 - Certain Anime Characters: Many people like to sit down and watch a good anime show every now and then, but you'll run into those who are diehard fans of certain ones, and would pay a lot for certain anime names.

Examples: Goku, Shin, Yagami, Naruto, Tweety

11 - Big companies/social media: When I saw big companies, I mean massive ones that everyone knows what they are. General rule of thumb, if you have to explain it, it isn't rare.

Examples: Disney, Google, Twitter, Skype

12 - Certain cars/manufacturers: Generally only the manufacturers are considered rare; however, if you have a very common car, Prius, or fancy car name, Gallardo, you may be able to get something for it.

Examples: Honda, Toyota, Prius, Gallardo

13 - Common Words in Other Languages: Please don't try to say something like 'silla' is a common spanish word. I'm talking words that most people will know.

Examples: Si, Hola

What is NOT Rare?

1 - Made up words: These for obvious reasons are not rare. They're not real and they're not rare.

Examples: Killzor, thinkify, pwnzilla, conversate

2 - Names With Numbers: If they aren't spelled right or incorporate a number to replace a letter, its not rare.

Examples: Br0, wr3ck, owned2, f1re

3 - Names With More Than One Word: These names are not rare. Even though it may look nice, there are practically an endless combination of these; therefore, they are not rare.

Examples: Gmaul owns, Love Within, Ge Mercher, I Own Edge

4 - Certain In-game Items/Characters: Although some of them are rare, many of them are simply not.

Examples: Purple Dye, Arrow Shaft, Bank Booth, Air Rune

Tips to be Successful in the Name Market

Whether you have only one name to sell, or you're looking to start making money buying and selling names, or you're looking to buy a name, the list below is a quick list of tips that will help you be more successful in reaching your end goal here in this market. The Name market is unique in the sense that it is similar to many other markets, yet it has its differences. For someone who may not know much about names, this can be a little daunting, so be sure to check the list below, and hopefully it will help guide you a little to your destination.

1. Scammers: Just like every other market, you'll find them here too. Be sure to be very careful when trading with someone.
      • Middleman - If neither of you are comfortable going first, use a middleman. Do not be pressured by someone just because they seem to have a few vouches, a donation rank, or have a decent sized thread, as this can all be deceiving.
      • Donators - Just because someone is a 200$ donator does not mean they are trusted. They may have joined last week, and used money that they have scammed in the past to pay for that donation. Do your homework on who you're trading with.
      • Join Date - Just because someone joined back in 2006 does not mean they are trusted. Scamming certainly existed back then, it is nothing new.
      • Post Count - Just because someone has 1,000 posts does not mean they are trusted. They may have spammed another section yet barely posted at all in the black market.
      • Vouches - Just because someone has 500 vouches doesn't mean they are trusted. Suppose there is someone who has 500 vouches for trades all of trades worth 5M 07 or less, while the other user has 100 vouches for trades all of 20M 07 for more. Would that change your view? Take the time to READ THEIR VOUCHES and see what type of vouches they have, and if they are quality or not.
      • Please REPORT THEM HERE if they are trying to scam or are sketchy.
    2. Lowballers: are basically people who see a name that is nice and try to bid less than what it's really worth. Just because someone says your name is worth something doesn't necessarily make that true. If you want an accurate opinion, price check your name at the Name Price Check Topic in order to get an accurate appraisal.
    3. Misleading Titles: Despite the guide above, people will often not correctly classify their names. Nothing wrong with having pride, but nothing is more of a let down than seeing the title "Super Rare OG Name" only to click on it and find "Pwnzilla" for sale.
    4. False Bidders: These people are frustrating to deal with. They make a bid on your name and you think you found a good deal only to find them unresponsive after you agree to their offer. There is no use arguing, simply report them for spam and move on.
    5. Multiple threads: When you see someone with more than one thread, simply report the thread and mention its a duplicate. There is no reason to post on their duplicate, or triplicate.
    6. General Tips: Think of this section similar to account sales. All of the above can and does happen in the account sales market, of course in a different form. Use your best judgement, if something doesn't feel right, you're by no means obligated to purchase something you have expressed interest in.

Frequently Asked Questions

How Do I Spot a Scammer?

In general, it's tough to predict who is going to scam and who isn't. But I have a general method that I use when doing these types of trades, and this helps me figure who I think is likely going to be legit, and who is likely to try and scam me.

1. Short and spacey responses: Generally I've found when you try to make conversation or ask questions, scammers will give very short answers. They tend to give incorrect information, conflicting stories, or something of that sort. If they seem to be odd based on what they say or how they say it, trade with caution.
    2. Quick Trades: These people want to trade now. They are willing to accept whatever you're willing to give them and want you to buy it right this second. This is a red flag. If a deal is too good to be true, it is. Don't risk it for the biscuit. The biscuit will be burned in the end if you try.

How Do I Get More Rare Names?

In today's market, you can do your best to try and find a rare name that's available, but I can guarantee you that you won't find one. Sometimes very inactive ones expire, meaning that they are released from the previous inactive account for anyone to grab, but this isn't very often. Your best bet is to post often in the Name Request Thread, post a thread that you're buying names, or try and track down names you want in-game.

What Is Name Sniping?

Name sniping is a bannable offense on Sythe. It is defined as watching over a name waiting for it to be transferred in hopes of intercepting the transfer and taking it for yourself. Unfortunately there are quite a few snipers out there that, if you don't take the right precautions, are more than willing to take advantage and take your name. To help avoid your name being sniped, I suggest you give the How to transfer a RARE name sticky for tips and methods to transfer your name.

What Does Responsibility For a Snipe Mean?

With the update that bonds can now give an instant name change, name transferring has become much easier and much more commonplace. In the event of the name being sniped, that means either the buyer is out the GP, or the seller is out the name. Responsibility means in the event a name gets sniped, one party will accept the loss. In the buyer's case, it means they will still have to pay the GP for the name. In the seller's case, it means they will be out a name and will not receive any GP. A good compromise you see often is splitting responsibility 50/50 or something to the likes of that.

Is there such thing as an RS3 only name, or an 07 only name?

A name is attached to an account. With an account, you can log in to any server: RuneScape 3, OldSchool RuneScape, DarkScape, Deadman mode, etc. This means that a name can go across all servers. There is no such thing as an "RS3" or "07" only name. Likewise, there is no such thing as an "07" or "RS3" account; it is both. Suppose you have the name "Name". When you log into rs3, 07, darkscape, or deadman mode, that is the display name that will appear in each of those servers with that account.

^ Milk, Alibabas Gold and Internetfamoose like this.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2019
  3. Unread #2 - Jul 25, 2015 at 7:29 AM
  4. Chillbeirrr
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

Chillbeirrr Active Member

Thanks for listing up Dunworry :)
    In my opinion you are on off the most helping people here on sythe!

5. Unread #3 - Jul 25, 2015 at 12:31 PM
  6. geez
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Discord Unique ID:
    Tier 1 Prizebox I can count to potato!

geez Active Member
    $25 USD Donor New

looks good hopefully more people will read this..

^ Dunworry likes this.
  7. Unread #4 - Jul 26, 2015 at 3:48 PM
  8. Wafer Man
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

Wafer Man SITH LORD
    Do Not Trade

Very nice I think this will help a lot of newer people understand the difference. Well done

9. Unread #5 - Jul 26, 2015 at 8:45 PM
  10. Josh
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Discord Unique ID:
    Discord Username:
    Josh#1830
    Member of the Quarter Winner In Memory of Jon

Josh Formerly known as JoshuaG
    joshuaag1234 Donor

Excellent job on the stickies, clear and well written for noobs who just dun get it.

11. Unread #6 - Aug 24, 2015 at 8:49 PM
  12. Variously
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Two Factor Authentication User Homosex Paper Trading Competition Participant Rio 2016 Torchbearer 2016 Halloween 2015 Christmas 2015 Easter 2016 Summer 2016 (2) Halloween 2016 (2)

Variously <3333
    $100 USD Donor New

Clear and well-written guide. :)

Not sure if this belongs here (sorry if not), but I've seen some confusion about this and I personally don't know 100% everything about it so I thought I'd ask here:

- Quick definition on deleted and bound names?
    - Why would a name be deleted or bound?
    - How can you tell if a name is banned, deleted, or bound?
    - Are there any ways to get a banned, deleted, or bound name released?

13. Unread #7 - Aug 24, 2015 at 9:00 PM
  14. Dunworry
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Discord Unique ID:
    Discord Username:
    andrew7548

The first three I should address in the op and will likely get around to in the coming weeks. The last one is basically: no. Unless you get lucky or have connections, no :p

15. Unread #8 - Aug 24, 2015 at 9:20 PM
  16. onlyplaythe2007rs
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

onlyplaythe2007rs Active Member
    Banned

If you are persistent you can get a banned name back, but it'll be bound. Depends on exactly for what reasons :p

I did some experimenting out of curiosity. Results were pretty good :love:

17. Unread #9 - Aug 24, 2015 at 9:21 PM
  18. Dunworry
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Discord Unique ID:
    Discord Username:
    andrew7548

I mean they do grant them back upon request sometimes, or if you are, yes, persistent; however, I wouldn't count upon it :p

19. Unread #10 - Aug 24, 2015 at 9:24 PM
  20. onlyplaythe2007rs
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

Banned

I tried this with several different accounts of a similar nature;
    the one I managed to get reinstated they told me flat out I didn't make it, it "traveled the world" <- exactly what they said

But with others it was just a flat "no, don't contact us again"

Jagex is a very strange company

21. Unread #11 - Aug 24, 2015 at 9:39 PM
  22. Dunworry
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Discord Unique ID:
    Discord Username:
    andrew7548

That's recovering an account which is not your's, which, correct me if I'm wrong, but is not allowed on Sythe?

23. Unread #12 - Aug 24, 2015 at 9:42 PM
  24. onlyplaythe2007rs
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

Banned

huh? I was trying to get names put back onto accounts I have had for a handful of years. "deleted" or "banned" names

25. Unread #13 - Oct 9, 2015 at 12:57 AM
  26. Dunworry
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Discord Unique ID:
    Discord Username:
    andrew7548

Added a new section about names, regarding whether they apply to only one server, or multiple. Have had numerous questions about this in the past. You can now link people this thread when they ask @ last FAQ question

27. Unread #14 - May 4, 2016 at 3:34 PM
  28. Blinded
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

Blinded Newcomer
    Banned

Dude I'd rather have the name goat than lion. Goats are cooler :)

29. Unread #15 - May 9, 2016 at 4:13 PM
  30. JiggyValid
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

JiggyValid Member

Great guide! +1

31. Unread #16 - Sep 11, 2016 at 5:18 PM
  32. King Kay
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

King Kay Newcomer

Thanks, didn't notice this until now.

33. Unread #17 - Sep 11, 2016 at 10:47 PM
  34. KissyKat
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Two Factor Authentication User

KissyKat Forum Addict

This should be a mandatory read.

^ Josh likes this.
  35. Unread #18 - Mar 7, 2017 at 11:42 AM
  36. SavageMXM
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

SavageMXM Newcomer

so my name: A True God isnt a rare name?

37. Unread #19 - Mar 16, 2017 at 9:50 PM
  38. Abdiel
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

Abdiel Newcomer

What is the name " Dr Strange " worth?

39. Unread #20 - Mar 18, 2017 at 1:58 PM
  40. Antb41
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

Antb41 Newcomer

the name "NIL8" like the word annihilate, if you say each letter it sounds like the word. also it is short

< [S] 3 Letter Rare! | Buying a rare name! >

Users viewing this thread
1 guest
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Adblock breaks this site